Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Which XLR cables to use?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    19

    Which XLR cables to use?

    I'm almost setup now, got speakers, amp, DJ mixer...

    Only got to buy cables now, so, I want to get speakon leads from the amp to the speakers, the speakers, a pair of JBL JRX 225s has the speakon inputs (what are the parallel jack's about?) They'll be no more than 4m away from the central mixer, so, are they all standard or can I buy thicker cables? If so, is it worth it? I'll have 500w RMS going into them.

    Lastly, have the Numark CD mix 3 with the XLR outputs, I do a search and I'm finding alot of, female to male leads, then it states mic xlr lead, are these ok to use? Or must I buy non mic xlr leads? And again, the XLR heads, worth buying more expensive ones? Van damma? Or something else?

    Any help would be appreciated...

  2. #2
    Moderator pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    old orléans
    Posts
    2,254
    When you have your amp, mixer and speakers you will be able to see which connectors (male/female, jack/XLR/speakon) you need to connect them up.

    Use the speakon connectors from the amp to the speakers. They are the easiest and most robust. The other connections are there just simply for if you are using the other connection standard. You could use that, if you wanted to or if you only had jack cables lying around.

    Mic XLR, or other XLR will work fine for the connection between the mixer and amplifier. It is just copper with connectors at the end.

    As for a specific brand, you could buy expensive or cheap. You will not notice the difference. I often use Vanne Damme cables with Rean/Neutrik connectors, but it is purely out of habit, and have never had issues with them. I certainly would not buy anything more expensive. I usually buy on eBay.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

  3. #3
    For XLR cables, there is no problem using one labeled as a "mic" cable to go from your mixer to your amp, it will work fine.
    You don't need the absolute best cables for this application (eg Mogami), but try to avoid the absolute worst (most of what you will find on ebay etc).
    I like Pro Co cables, they are a USA company but if you can get them in the UK you can't go wrong with those.
    They also make Speakon cables.

    You don't say what amp you've got. That'll make a big difference as to what exact cables you will need.

    Generally speaking, a big dual-15 passive speaker like the JRX225 is NOT what people are getting these days as new DJs, if you're not already committed to that, might want to think twice.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    19
    Hi, I'm not using the speakers at home, I'm literally a bass junkie haha, but the amp is a Crown XTII1000 that has the XLR inputs etc etc

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by xTrancex1 View Post
    Hi, I'm not using the speakers at home, I'm literally a bass junkie haha, but the amp is a Crown XTII1000 that has the XLR inputs etc etc
    The JRX225 does not have much bass at all, it's -3 at 62Hz...
    A system with a pair of small (12 inch) tops and a pair of 18 inch subs will give you bass down to 40Hz or below, it would blow away the bass you will get from these.
    Dual 15's are almost always a bad idea.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ottawa Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Dual 15's are almost always a bad idea.
    I tried to steer him in another direction in a previous thread but as the saying goes.. "you can lean a horse to water but you can't make him drink."
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    19
    Yeah Conanski, thanks for the help though bud appreciate it. I did try that 2.1 system in the end, got it for £150 used on ebay, you are right, it's very very good, but I need more bass.
    Last edited by xTrancex1; 10-30-2020 at 02:36 PM.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    The JRX225 does not have much bass at all, it's -3 at 62Hz...
    A system with a pair of small (12 inch) tops and a pair of 18 inch subs will give you bass down to 40Hz or below, it would blow away the bass you will get from these.
    Dual 15's are almost always a bad idea.
    Hi light, yeah, I do like the JBLs, picked them up for only £150 hardly no use. I'll use this setup for now as, end of the day it's only for home use.


    My biggest mistake, comparing home speakers, subs with PA... Like these: https://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audi...s/xls-215.html

    A friend had some years ago, blew me away but can't afford them, £900 odd a set... Thing is, a pair of 12" speakers with an 18" sub, could get close? If not better?
    Last edited by xTrancex1; 10-30-2020 at 03:25 PM.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ottawa Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by xTrancex1 View Post
    My biggest mistake, comparing home speakers, subs with PA... Like these: https://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audi...s/xls-215.html

    A friend had some years ago, blew me away but can't afford them, £900 odd a set... Thing is, a pair of 12" speakers with an 18" sub, could get close? If not better?
    Vega has always blurred the lines between pro and home audio, higher sensitivity and SPL capability than most home audio speakers and lower bass extension than a comparable PA speaker... like your JRX225 for example. Those CVs are probably exactly what you want, a proper PA sub and top would definitely beat it but cost even more, but the pro speakers won't blow up while the CVs will die sooner or later. Stange but true fact, almost every single CV speaker I have heard over the last 35+ years has lost drivers... many of them right in front of me as we were listening to tunes.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Vega has always blurred the lines between pro and home audio, higher sensitivity and SPL capability than most home audio speakers and lower bass extension than a comparable PA speaker... like your JRX225 for example. Those CVs are probably exactly what you want, a proper PA sub and top would definitely beat it but cost even more, but the pro speakers won't blow up while the CVs will die sooner or later. Stange but true fact, almost every single CV speaker I have heard over the last 35+ years has lost drivers... many of them right in front of me as we were listening to tunes.
    Yes, used to have some VS-10's/12's/15's and AT-15s, all very good but had a AT driver blow on me, not even over powering it... The only good thing I guess, this has been a fast, steep learning curve, but happy as my Behringer mixer was given to me, the CD MIX 2 was only £35, amp £50 speakers £150 can easily sell and make profit, keep the 2.1 system for a while... Then possibly as you said, get some decent 12s and some subs... Would you avoid subs that are at least 10+ years old? Seen many on eBay, Facebook marketplace etc etc which look dragged out to hell but see some at 500w rms odd, I'm thinking as it's only for the home, maybe 350w, 15"? Any difference between a 18" 300w sub and a 15" 500w sub?

    My Ken Kreisel DXD literally goes down to 10Hz up to 200Hz but I know we can only hear aboy 20Hz and above roughly. I don't know why but I have always loved feeling bass hard up close & personal as I'm listening to my favourite tracks
    Last edited by xTrancex1; 10-30-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
a