Thread: Home CD player to use?

Home CD player to use?

With unbalanced RCA outputs on my CD player (Arcam Alpha 8SE) and 1/4 balanced jacks on my Behringer 6 channel mixer, mixer has the tape in/outs... I don't want any extra noise, so can I buy some sort of device where I run cables to it from my CD player, then from that to the mixer to give it a balanced input?

Very new to all of this so far, but got a little bit figured out...

Welcome to DJF, xTrancex1. RCAs (and tabletop CD/media player in general) do not have balanced outputs. Since they are generally very close mixers, having balanced outputs wouldn't really add any benefit.

You can use a cable with a male RCA on one end and a 1/4" TRS on the other. Here's a picture:

You are going to want to replace your mixer with a dj mixer so that you can use (at least) a three-band EQ for transitions.
    Last edited by KLH; 10-19-2020 at 07:01 AM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Hi KLH,

Can I kill 2 birds with 1 stone and buy something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154148901748

Could I put an external source in to it? Like, 3.5mm jack to 2 stereo RCA leads?

Are Soundlab or Behringer good?

Like: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154148901748 ?

yeah you could plug in your arcam into that.
    bear in mind your arcam does not have pitch control (speed control - you need this to mix tracks together).
    The numark you linked to has CD players with pitch control so you could use it for mixing tracks.

As for Behringer, Soundlab or the numark mixing center you linked to....they are bargain basement level stuff.
    Maybe enough for you to test it out to see if you like mixing, but, as with any hobby it can get expensive when you look at higher level gear.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Yeah, I'm on a tight budget, I only just bought some JBL JRX225 speakers, got to buy a amp next so I presume ones at 145 new are rather rubbish. May have to buy a used amp more than likely...

yeah study up and buy used.
    at your budget, buying new just really isn't a solid option.
    It doesn't mean that you can't get stuff that will do want.

DJing is an expensive hobby. To get a decent set of all the equipment necessary costs up to or over a grand. A good music collection costs even more. However, to get started you can do it cheap. Rest assured that all DJs, and certainly most of the best ones, started out right at the bottom and worked with what was in front of them.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Hi Pete, yeah, I'm having Dj lessons, well, was, hopefully they'll be open again soon...

Just getting some average gear for "now" only plan to do bedroom stuff. Could tou recommend a good amp? My speakers say they are 500w @4ohm, seems like I can only find either too much power or amps like 250w rms or 1000w rms

Would this be a good match for my JBSs? 4Ohm load 500w seems like it would.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CROWN-XTI...%7C2500%7C3000

And the Numark mixer, would that still give good sound?

Since you're looking at buying amps and you already have speakers, you may want to think about your actual setup.

Right now you have CD players that don't have pitch controls - this is a primary concern. You also have a line mixer that doesn't have the necessary EQs. You're looking at an amp to support speakers that you have but you're unsure of the power required.

This may be a great time to think about the kind of setup you want instead of the setup that you can afford. Research a bit. Read about tabletop CD players, turntables, or controllers. After you understand the differences, then think about how you want to approach your setup.

We'll be here to help. It seems that you're willing to just buy instead of thinking about why you want to buy it.
    -KLH
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Hi, yeah, but, my original plan was, speakers, amp, normal nicer, then plug whatever device into that to give music

The previous guy said it was a good idea to get a DJ mixer.

But, I'll get the Numark CD mixer and crown amp sell the other Behringer mixer and go from there

Check out the Beginner's MEGA thread... particularly the setup page and good luck.
    -KLH