Thread: Urei 1620 Disco Mix!

Urei 1620 Disco Mix!

I'm selling my Urei 1620, so I made a Disco Mix to show that it works just fine. The mix is pretty good too. It has that remix called Grapevine that our own Andy Munro came up with, plus a bunch of other old school classic disco hits. Why am I selling my Urei, I have a Bozak and never use the Urei. So why am I keeping the Bozak? My first mixer back when I started was a Bozak, and I had my Bozak completely restored my the master himself, Mr. Buzzy Beck. They both sound about the same to me. The advantage of the Urei is that it has booth output, where the Bozak doesn't. The advantage of the Bozak is that it has no IC's in it, just resistors and capacitors. The advantage of both is that unlike any other type of DJ gear, they keep going up in value instead of down. Rotaries are capable of doing super smooth blends, and they seem to last forever.

Nice! I concur. I ve mixed on both & own the Soundcraft Version of the Urei. The Bozak has a little bit more of the palpability of a bigger sound or effortlessness to it . It's hard to put in words because it's incredible to take absolutely anything away from the Urei.
    You're absolutely correct - discreet components over ICs

Sweet Setup. I look forward to hearing your mix!
    Ken K
    aka pentacle

I forgot to post that the Urei sold. It went to somebody in New Jersey.

wait a minute .... are those sennheiser 414s ?

the first headphones I got for DJing and as they were cheap and not "cool", I discarded them after a few years.

How much I regret that! They have a sweet sound. They go for loads these days and I can't justify them now...I just already have far too many headphones.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Good eye! When you own an antique Bozak and a Urei, you have to have a pair of 414's to go with it! The HD-25's are just a modern version of the 414's. The 414's where industry standards for decades. I think they sound excellent, you just need a lot of power to drive them. I went my whole DJ career in discos with a pair of 414's around my neck. The only parts that break on them are the ear pads, and the cable, and those are still available. I replace the cable with a cable from the HD-650's since it is a lot thicker cable, and it plugs right in. You can still find the 414's on eBay, but like you said, they ain't cheap.