Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which speakers?

Which speakers?

Hi,

I'm into DJ'ing but starting off from the basics, mixer, amp, speakers etc etc

I have a Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer for now but can't decide on amp and speakers as, I keep hearing Peavey are useless? I looked at the Peavey Eurosys 2 speakers and a Crown amp, problem is I have a very tight budget to get both for under £250

I can get speakers on ebay etc etc but, doesn't look good as the Eurosys 2 go for like £60 a set, amps for £100 odd but 300w odd outputs, cheap useless amps for brand new for 800w a side at £150 must be bad amps?

Just want a really good, very deep clean sounding 15" speaker, it doesn't matter how old the speakers are either as long as they have been well kept and not abused, is it possible?

Then, in maybe 3 months time getting some passive bass bins, are say, 18" 300w ok for home use? And do they need a separate amp to the speakers? Or a 4 channel amp?

Is this strictly for home use? There is no value in buying passive speakers in that price range, you should be looking at an active system. And... you won't get "very deep clean" bass from a 15" 2-way PA speaker... that requires a subwoofer and once you have subs there is no point having mid/hi boxes with a massive woofer.

If this is a home listening/practice system you should be looking at powered studio monitors and subs... especially if you live in an apartment, even those will likely generate noise complaints. If you want something that can also be used for small DJ events then the best value would be with something like this.. https://www.thomann.de/gb/db_technologies_es602.htm
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Hi conanski,

Oh, would 12's give a better sound?

I have a home cinema sub (Kreisel sound dxd-12012) which I was thinking of using with the speakers. But seeing as I'm on a strict budget...

A good few years ago I had a pair of soundlab 12" 250w speakers, soundlab 300w power amp and that same mixer which sounded good

But yes, it's only for home use... No need to worry about neighbours as I'm fully detached, just as-well

HIFI subs can't match PA speakers for loudness.

Got the rough idea now thanks

Just a few more lil bits, power amps...

Looking for a 400 - 800w rms at 4 or 8 ohms but I see some out there are practically rated that but are like £120 new, so best to avoid them cheap n cheerful one's? Yet saw a new Gemini XGA 3000 for £120 and even a Behringer iNuke NU6000DSP for under £200 yet I do not have the funds for a set of speakers that'll take that sort of power, maybe some JBL's?

Did you follow the link I provided in the last reply?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Hi,

Yeah, but I want the speakers, bass bins combo, got a lil extra money now so I can afford a better setup...

Thomann is still the place to get the best deal and powered speakers will perform much better than something you piece together, so how much do you have to spend?
    Last edited by conanski; 10-15-2020 at 06:44 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Around £400. I was thinking of a Gemini or Crown amp and some JBL TR-125s I think...

Or some JBL JRX speakers