Thread: Can I connect these speakers to each other?

Can I connect these speakers to each other?

Hi,

I own a JBL Partybox 300 and a pair of M-audio BX8 D2 speakers, and I wonder if its possible to connect these speakers to each other?

The JBL Partybox has RCA outputs and the M-audio speakers has TRS and XLR, but I don’t know if its only output or if it works as input as well.
    So does anyone know if its possible to connect these with a RCA-TRS/XLR cable? 🙂

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AvidBirch View Post
    Hi,

I own a JBL Partybox 300 and a pair of M-audio BX8 D2 speakers, and I wonder if its possible to connect these speakers to each other?

The JBL Partybox has RCA outputs and the M-audio speakers has TRS and XLR, but I don’t know if its only output or if it works as input as well.
    So does anyone know if its possible to connect these with a RCA-TRS/XLR cable? ��

Thanks
    Looks like the partybox has RCA outs, and the speaker support XLR or TRS input(only).

You will need (2) RCA to XLR cables.

https://www.amazon.com/TISINO-Stereo...s%2C184&sr=8-5

Quote Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
    Looks like the partybox has RCA outs, and the speaker support XLR or TRS input(only).

You will need (2) RCA to XLR cables.

https://www.amazon.com/TISINO-Stereo...s%2C184&sr=8-5
    Oh okay thanks. So if I get 2 cables RCA to XLR, will I get sound on the speakers or not? Would be cool if I could play via bluetooth to the partybox and also get sound on the M-audio speakers...

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Oh okay thanks. So if I get 2 cables RCA to XLR, will I get sound on the speakers or not? Would be cool if I could play via bluetooth to the partybox and also get sound on the M-audio speakers...

The Partybox has RCA outputs, I assume it will send the bluetooth signal over the wire, you will need to dig around in the manual to make sure.

If it does, then the signal is going to the speakers, they are amplified from what I saw on a search, so they should play whatever signal is coming in through the input jacks.

Probably the only way to tell for certain is to get the cables and try it.
    Last edited by shoot summ; 09-10-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Oh okay thanks. So if I get 2 cables RCA to XLR
    RCA is not balanced. XLR is balanced. TRS is sometimes balanced & sometimes it's not balanced.

If the equipment came with 6.35mm (1⁄4") TRS cables that only have one black ring on the tips it's not balanced. If there are two black rings it's balanced.

RCA to 6.35mm (1⁄4") TRS is better than RCA to XLR. But my guess would be both the TRS input and the XLR input are both supposed to be a balanced signal. If that's the case you need a converter.

For RCA to XLR you should use a mixer or an audio level converter.
    https://www.amazon.com/ART-CLEANBoxP.../dp/B003S7T49K
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    RCA is not balanced. XLR is balanced. TRS is sometimes balanced & sometimes it's not balanced.

If the equipment came with 6.35mm (1⁄4") TRS cables that only have one black ring on the tips it's not balanced. If there are two black rings it's balanced.

RCA to 6.35mm (1⁄4") TRS is better than RCA to XLR. But my guess would be both the TRS input and the XLR input are both supposed to be a balanced signal. If that's the case you need a converter.

For RCA to XLR you should use a mixer or an audio level converter.
    https://www.amazon.com/ART-CLEANBoxP.../dp/B003S7T49K
    Thanks for your answer.
    That’s what I was afraid of... so I guess I have to do some research on which cables I should get then.

The equipment didn’t come with any cables, I have bought the cables I have right now afterwards. Right now I’m using balanced TRS cables from the speakers to a soundcard. But if I’m not wrong I think it’s possible to use un-balanced TRS with those speakers too but I’ll have to look it up...

But if that’s the case, it should work with a normal RCA cable from the Partybox to un-balanced TRS cable to the speakers, right? And if it only works with balanced TRS, I’ll have to buy a converter?

RCA to XLR with nothing connected to Pin3 in the XLR connector should work just fine, there is no difference electrically or sonically between XLR or TRS connectors as long as the signals appear on the correct pins.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thanks everyone for your answers!

I have another question too. I own a another bluetooth speaker as well, a Pioneer club 5. Would it be possible to connect it to the Jbl partybox 300? I know it’s not possible to do via bluetooth, but does it work with a RCA-RCA cable? Both of them have RCA outputs/inputs. If I have my phone connected to one of them, will I get the same sound in the other one? Anyone that knows how it works?

Thanks in advance!