Thread: My First Remix - Journey of a beginner

My First Remix - Journey of a beginner

Hello, here is Xeno hopping in with something to write!

So since I do not yet have a library allowing me to roll over the world DJing nor have the experience for it, I decided that I would help my start by making my first remix. I have to be honest and to affirm that I don't know how things work! I don't know much about copyrights nor simply about how to make a remix by itself. I could read a bit or watch on Youtube some DJ giving out some tricks and advises or simply showing how to use a DAW for it which is very helpful but does it really tell me how to make mine?

Here in my thread you will not read the perspective of an oldy in this great art and profession of DJing. You will be following the journey of a noob that will talk like a noob!

So I thought that the very first important step is not about making the remix itself. I think one big thing about DJing is not only what I will do and how, but very important, the CHOICE OF THE SONG. Because before anything, before a start is to be [...] I think the song has to mean something to me, it has to represent me well and I must connect to it. Because I think that above the skills I need to make a good remix, the choice of the song is more important for now. I want the public to listen to something that make sense with the direction I am taking!

So I believe in cosmic story!

I am very much into alien stuff, VERY much. So then one morning I tell myself, "Okay it is time to boost up a bit" To move forward you know. So I search for songs about alien or aliens but I find not much that interest me so much. Then I subscribe on a website that offer music in exchange of a monthly subscription and made my first research "Alien" and I then found a song by Adara that is named Alien and I fell for it. So I click the download button and I listen to the song a lot.

After a short while I take upon myself to decide that I would like this song to be my first remix!

So I have then successfully reached step one! I have chosen a song but now there is technicality about it I think. I have downloaded the original song on a paid service that is said as licenced to be played publically (Used for a DJ set) but does it allow me to remix and RELEASE it?

I tought not!

So I think that step two is then to contact the production / artist(s) and ask them for their authorization. So did I with ITK Entertainment asking them to remix the song Alien by Adara. I have gotten a very quick and warm response! So I talked to Daniel ONeil that could see things with Adara for me and she accepted that I remix the song and also I am going to be allowed to release it on specific platform following agreed terms and conditions.

At this stage we are still discussing things because as a rookie, I ain't know **** about anything!

So now that I have chosen a song, that I am in communication with the production for the authorization and ready to put myself into a project; What is next? I mean starting a Remix is a big unknown for me. I started mine following common sense about that the original song is not mine. and the Remix resulted of my manipulation is so called a "Derivated Product" of copyrighted work. Right?

So this is my journey to begin about making my first Remix! I got my choice of song done, authorized by Adara.

Then at this point what I see is that I have chosen a song that goes in the way of my show, the alien. I have authorization from the creator to remix it and upon their approval, to release it. Of course, making a Remix will give me a file on my hard drive that I exported from a DAW but the main thing to keep in mind is that the stems are not mine. They are a owned property, and I am not the owner.

I am very happy about this! I don't know how to thanks Adara and her team

So now that it is going to be alright to remix the song, I can get started!

So as a newbie, my first interest is to learn through this journey that will soon begin. If you have any idea of what could be a good mind set or you got the words to put me on the right direction about starting making a Remix, do so!

Until then...

The way I feel now is that step 3 should be to build a relationship with the song, spend time with it. Then right now I am listening to the original song in loop on my mobile player. I want to know it well, I want it to be instinctive in me. So I spend a lot of time right now building up the relationship that I have with the song. I am putting it in my inner beats you know. Everywhere I go, I walk because I don't drive so I got plenty of time listening to the song. When I am home I use my DJ software/hardware to play with the song and to discover it further. I listen to it again and again processing it and feeling it. Becoming a part of the beat... Immersion into the creation of Adara the original artist.

I can't wait to post update about it!

To be continued.....

Ok, so you're motivated to develop some knowledge on how to use the equipment, but do you have the equipment? (DAW, production computer, sound card, speakers, MIDI keyboard, etc)

I'm guessing you have quite a bit of reading and watching tutorials ahead of you.

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...-Recording-FAQ

I don't know how to thanks Adara and her team
    Get it signed on paper...

Oh this is going to be a long term project. I intend to spend a few months on it!

I am still getting the equipment. For now I have a bunch a DAW on trial period but I paid for Serato studio and Serato DJ Pro to work with a Numark Mixtrack Pro 2. At this stage I can't tell you what software I am using as I am still trying them out to decide which one I will pay for. If you have suggestion or feedback let me know but keep in mind I most likely seek beginner friendly interface. Which I quite find with Serato Studio but I find it a little bit incomplete right now... The DEVs they are saying they are working on many things to improve the software as they want it to be stand alone as a DAW.

If not I mostly used audacity for audio edit so far....

I am a percusionist so I am planning on a midi drum set before a keyboard that is for sure. My strength about production is beats. I played in Drumline and marching band and played for myself snare for about 16 years... I would rather start making real beats, where I got something already started than beginning with things I don't know. But yes I intend to get a DJ keyboard with pads and stuff but not at first. My priority is to get my sticks back on the beat! Then maybe I would get a midi/usb Violin and make some sound! The keyboard is not a priority as I can use my computer keyboard for a similar result in the DAW I am using.

Well after I got back my drum and my Violin I might be looking forward a midi keyboard even if my computer keyboard can do the job.

If you have suggestion or feedback let me know but keep in mind I most likely seek beginner friendly interface.
    I'm afraid there is no such thing as a beginner friendly DAW.

I prefer Logic Pro but that's just personal preference. I also used Cubase, Cakewalk, Reason/Rebirth and Ableton in the past. For audio editing I use Sony Soundforge as it contains more tools, and Waveburner for mastering. Yes that means I'm both on Mac and PC.

So I already made my first mistake! :O

I misunderstood, ITK Entertainment is NOT the producer, they are management! As The producer is Zod Lounge.

The song is still made by Adara though but I have yet to discover to full people behind the work!

So this is a good exemple of a noob here lol! Correctly understanding who is management vs production vs artists creators... AAH I got to learn!

You forgot the copyright owner (s), also who owns the distribution and mechanical rights.