Thread: Controllers without jog-wheels but with 'transport-functions' (like the Traktor X1)

Controllers without jog-wheels but with 'transport-functions' (like the Traktor X1)

I'm confused about controllers without jog-wheels or jog-wheel-type functions (and multiple Youtube videos have not made me any wiser!) but can still select/cue/play (Ie I realise some controllers are purely for effects or remix etc.)

This is about adding basic digital capability to a vinyl/analogue set-up.

For example: if I have a Xone:K2, can I map track selection, cueing and play functions? That is, can I use this set-up ... laptop>K2>analogue mixer ... to play tracks on laptop (using Traktor) but with total control from the K2 controller - so track/folder selection, cueing, play, pause, etc?

Obviously the Traktor x1 can do this as it has a dedicated track select pot + the touch strip that replaces jog wheels.

I'm new to digital djing so excuse my ignorance. What I want is a minimal controller that will remove any need for me to be fiddling with the laptop itself - so I need it to be able to select, cue and play! Because of my style of music I don't need to scratch or do anything fancy - just select a track from a folder; find where I want to start it from; and play it!

Thanks

My portable setup is a Z1 mixer and an X1 controller using Traktor. You don't have to touch the laptop, at least I don't. I mainly use sync with this setup, so I don't use the touch strip. You can use it with out sync, but without jog wheels, it's a pain to beat match. The X1 does all the cueing, start, stop, and scrolling, and the Z1 has the faders for mixing. On my vinyl setup with two turntables and my Bozak rotary mixer, I use the X1 for the same thing, cueing, start/stop and scrolling, and I use the mixer for mixing. I don't have to touch the laptop with my vinyl setup either. Everyone is different, and uses their equipment differently. I use all the default Traktor mapping, but I guess you can remap it to what ever you want.

I've always wondered how precise cueing is done on non-jogwheel setups. Do you have to setup cue points prior? Maybe set loops before working in the new track?

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I have a keyboard map I use with Traktor for situations where there are no CDJs. This arrangement uses only a laptop and an analog mixer. The keyboard map is set up to emulate Cue/Play/Pause, jog wheel, pitch fader, and track load functions for two decks. I use this with an analog mixer. I do have load-to cue points set up in the tracks. It didn't take long to get used to tapping buttons for the jog wheel function and pitch fader functions. For convenience, holding the shift key down while loading a track syncs the tempo only. That saves time matching the tempo, but I still beat match manually. This setup would seem to fit what vivafc is seeking.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterbeat View Post
    I have a keyboard map I use with Traktor for situations where there are no CDJs. This arrangement uses only a laptop and an analog mixer. The keyboard map is set up to emulate Cue/Play/Pause, jog wheel, pitch fader, and track load functions for two decks. I use this with an analog mixer. I do have load-to cue points set up in the tracks. It didn't take long to get used to tapping buttons for the jog wheel function and pitch fader functions. For convenience, holding the shift key down while loading a track syncs the tempo only. That saves time matching the tempo, but I still beat match manually. This setup would seem to fit what vivafc is seeking.
    Nice! If this is for a Windows laptop keyboard, any chance of sharing this?

Hanginon, I'd be happy to share the map, but I'll need to prepare a description of what key does what. I'll have that in a few days. And yes it's for Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterbeat View Post
    Hanginon, I'd be happy to share the map, but I'll need to prepare a description of what key does what. I'll have that in a few days. And yes it's for Windows.
    Thanks! No rush - no gigs right now.

Yea you are supposed to grid the tracks ahead of time so that there's no cueing and no beatmatching to do when you play.

But some software eg traktor is very good at grudding on the fly, so (I have a Z1 I use once in a while for ****** friend things) you can drag a track off your disk right onto a deck with no prep, cue it with the mouse as close as u can gey and then just hit play.. and if it's like.. techno, trance or anything with a beat that isn't tricky it syncs perfectly almost every time even with no prep. But I would prep them ahead of time if its a real gig...