Thread: Macbook air and serato

Macbook air and serato

can i use a new macbook air with serato dj

I'm interested in knowing this too albeit with NI Traktor (and whether it can run Ableton Live)

I think the downfall with Macbook Air is the somewhat limited connectivity and passive(?) cooling.. for example Serato has support for video iirc via an addon which may cause the system to run slow (or freeze audio/frames upon additional actions) as the graphics card/CPU most likely isn't up to the task.

This depends on how much RAM the system uses on idle and HD/SSD speed/usage/fragmentation (which is a common problem with aging laptops, and may cause problems while doing audio-related tasks, although some versions of OS X/MacOS do defrag by default on the background iirc, usually you'd turn off these kinds of things like antivirus, scheduled tasks etc during gigs to improve performance)

On paper you could check the minimum/recommended system requirements although they're mostly a general guideline, ie. the software starts but once you run it over extended periods of time and throw all kinds of stuff at it the laptop starts running hot and can't keep up, causing it to slow down.. probably ok for light audio stuff though I think.

I remember googling around the same thing a few years ago with the previous gen of Macbook Air as they were going for 800-900ish new and I was considering getting one. I use CDJs for DJing these days (Apple ditched FireWire in their laptops but there's a Thunderbolt-FW adapter afaik, there are USB-C hubs too with breakouts for different connectors) and a hardware setup for producing although I miss the remix decks and the piano roll/editing audio in software.

be interesting to hear the thoughts of someone who actually uses a macbook air.