Thread: Amplifier spec recommendations/advice for Peavey ST-12 passive speakers

Amplifier spec recommendations/advice for Peavey ST-12 passive speakers

Hi everyone,

Just asking for some quick advice as I am new to speakers and amplification. I have a pair of passive Peavey ST-12 speakers (see pic attached) and I would like some advice on what amp to buy for them.

Is it best to match the watts and impedance? So I would find an amp that has 250 watts at 8 ohms? But do I need to look for RMS or program or what?

I have heard that with the type of music I am planning to play (vinyl reggae music) that bridge mode would sound fine - so I am hoping to find an amp that would do bridge mode. How many amps and what impedance/ohms should I look for if I am planning on either putting it into bridge mode or daisychaining the speakers?

If this is more complicated then maybe I will stick to stereo for now, rather than mono in bridge mode.

Feel free to recommend any particular model/brand, but mainly I am looking to understand which spec amp I am trying to buy.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Just to clarify as I can't find a way to upload the pictures, the amp says 250 watts program and impedance 8 ohms

They are rated 150W RMS, 300W program.. Peavey is pretty trustworthy on power ratings so.. any amp that can do 300W/ch or more @ 8 ohms is fine.
    I would not bother with bridging for such a low power level, it should be very easy to find a cheap amp that can do it in stereo mode (you do not have to run your system in stereo just because the amp is stereo).

See if you can find a used QSC GX3, they are only a few hundred dollars new.