Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm looking for some tops

Quote Originally Posted by drop1 View Post
    I said I demoed the bottom 2 entries. Not that that's what I was looking to buy.
    I want the best sounding from EV with as much output as possible.
    What I was really trying to ask is which EV 12 sounds rhe best because I was only able to hear the cheaper ones.
    Ah... in that case you want the ETX12p, they are a noticable step up from the other lines.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

I'll tag on to this thread, I mentioned earlier I sold my tops and am shopping for some new ones.

I have a pair of JBL EON618's for subs, have been running down the QSC path, and based on research and some threads here I was pretty settled on QSC 10.2's. Now you guys have me looking at the EV ETX line, a bit more than I expected to spend, but then I only intend to do this once.

Most of what I do is small weddings and parties, in many cases I am running just a single speaker and sub, in others like the wedding I just did I had the pair of subs behind the booth, and a single speaker on a stand out front. The 2 subs were overkill, I took the extra just in case and thought since it was there I would go ahead and run it.

My question now is should I go ETX 10, or ETX 12?

I don't see ETX 10s having any problem keeping up with, if not beating, EON 618s.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

A guy I know does a lot of live bands, He took a pair of ETX10s and 4 ETX 15sp subs to a Friday night roadhouse gig and was told to turn it down.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

The ETX10's arrived today.

WOW...

Thanks for the advice!

I thought I would add my experience to this thread.

I ordered the ETX's on Friday, they arrived on Tuesday. I noticed one of the boxes was a little beat up, and appeared to have been opened from the bottom, the internal cardboard protection was a little messed up but the speaker appeared OK.

I grabbed one of the speakers and set it up with a sub and started playing, the results were outstanding. Love the built in DSP on the ETX.

The next day before I threw out the packing I thought I should test the other speaker just to make sure they are both working correctly. Set it up and something didn't sound right, and the main button on the DSP was sticky. Did a test with the same portion of a song, switching cables between both speakers and discovered the damaged box speaker had a terrible sound in the midrange, almost like a blown speaker(crackling/static). So I boxed it up and took it to the local GC for replacement, all went smooth, now waiting for the replacement speaker.

So I guess the moral of the story is, never assume something new, is working as expected, always test.

And, as stated in the responses above, the ETX is outplaying the EON618S...