Thread: Help with setting up system.

Help with setting up system.

Hello all,

Just started putting together a system. I need a little guidance on how things can work together. Also trying to figure out what the name of some of the cords I need.
    Here's a list of what I'm trying to set-up:

2x) JBL EON15 G2 Speakers (Powered/Active)
    2x) Peavey Impulse 200P Speakers (Powered/Active)
    2x) Pyle Pro PASW15 Sub-Woofers (Non-Powered/Passive)
    1x) Mackie Mix12FX 12-channel Compact Mixer with Effects
    1x) Harbinger LP9800 Powered Mixer

What would be the best way to use all of these together. Right now I can go from the computer to the Mackie Mix12FX Mixer and straight to the powered speakers. But what I don't know how to do is implement the Harbinger LP9800 Powered Mixer and the Pyle Pro PASW15 Sub-Woofers. Can I go from the mixer to the amp then out to all the speakers & subs? If so, how? How do I go from a powered amp to powered speakers?
    Also trying to figure out what cables are what??
    Any help will be greatly appriciated! Thanks

I think you'd go from the Mackie to the active speakers and split from either thru (if they have one) or Mackie main out to the power mixer and from there to the subs (or use an aux output to run the subs if it's available)

One solution is to use a crossover for splitting the signal from the Mackie main out and run the highs from the xover HF out (direct/line) and go to sub via the power mixer/amp from the xover LF out.. if the power mixer has line out you could run the tops from it, then you'd go Mackie->power mixer and split there as line out->tops and amp out->subs.

Then you have two pairs of tops.. depending on what type of gig you're doing you may want to set up a monitor mix via aux.. you'd split (Y-cable) the Mackie main output to highs/amp out->subs and run the monitors direct via aux.

I highly recommend not running the active speakers split from the power mixer amp outs with dummy load (amp to line level) as it could damage your speakers but in theory it's possible.

As to what type of cables you need depends on the connectors.. one way is to draw a block diagram/fictional stage map with the devices (and sound sources etc) and list cables/split points and their connector types (ie. XLR, female/male, desired length etc).. I'd include power needs (extension cords, distances, 3-phase and so on, with active speakers you easily run out of power cables or end up with ground loops, say from the same 10A fuse there could be the venue lights and an outlet)

EDIT : then there's this I came across on the internet :

So in reality doing PA (and just about anything) is one part gear and one part trickery.. I dare to say 95% if not all professionals use a number of ghetto solutions to run their rigs and keep the show running, the problem is the "it's fine unless x happens" and that's what many people working in the industry are trying to prepare for and interested in

This is an odd collection of equipment so it's going to be clumsy to use it all, there is no need for 2 mixers so I'm going to suggest you leave the Mackie out for now.

What you really need is a dedicated power amp with crossover filters built in for the subs, the powered mixer isn't really powerful enough and makes things difficult.

But using what you got.. connect form the preamp outputs on the front of the mixer/amp to one set of powered speakers and then link to the second set, and connect the subs to the speaker outputs on the rear of the mixer/amp.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Help with setting up system.

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    This is an odd collection of equipment so it's going to be clumsy to use it all, there is no need for 2 mixers so I'm going to suggest you leave the Mackie out for now.

What you really need is a dedicated power amp with crossover filters built in for the subs, the powered mixer isn't really powerful enough and makes things difficult.

But using what you got.. connect form the preamp outputs on the front of the mixer/amp to one set of powered speakers and then link to the second set, and connect the subs to the speaker outputs on the rear of the mixer/amp.
    “Odd collection” is a nice way of putting it, but sometimes you gotta make do with what ya got. I get it... been there.😊 Your advice was PERFECT though, as always. I’d only add that one should NEVER send an amplified signal to a powered speaker, so with that it should have made it pretty clear that the way you recommended is really the only option for connecting the subject gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I