Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Are These Cerwin Vega Speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    You can find 12" car subs in carpet covered boxes for a hundred bucks. In any event you'd never build a sub box with the drivers splayed outward. The intent of that is to widen dispersion (which, BTW, doesn't work) in the mids and highs where subs don't operate.
    Fair enough, but these were 16-18 year olds kids with cars and equipment I'm sure they couldn't afford on their own. And in come cases I have a feeling they had some custom equipment that maybe didn't make a lot of sense in their car. As soon as I saw that pic it immediately made me think of some of the things I saw back then.

In any event you'd never build a sub box with the drivers splayed outward.
    There's no point since a subs output is omni directional. And these aren't subwoofers anyway, I doubt this box produces much low bass at all actually with those classic Vega PA drivers(rolled cloth surrounds).
    Last edited by conanski; 08-16-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

My guess is a car sub too although the tweeter (?) horns don't make much sense (they could be ports too but like stated earlier the flare gives a hint they're tweeters)

Could be a high/mid cab to use as a fill/delay speaker but it'd have a grill/cloth to protect the cones, also the cones look too "decorated", ie. the stuff you see in car audio as well as the carpeting (maybe it's intended for people who drive around, park and open the trunk to impress like-minded people who gather around, and underage girls)

EDIT : it appears to have corner pieces too which is unusual for a car speaker

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    My guess is a car sub too although the tweeter (?) horns don't make much sense (they could be ports too but like stated earlier the flare gives a hint they're tweeters)

Could be a high/mid cab to use as a fill/delay speaker but it'd have a grill/cloth to protect the cones, also the cones look too "decorated", ie. the stuff you see in car audio as well as the carpeting (maybe it's intended for people who drive around, park and open the trunk to impress like-minded people who gather around, and underage girls)

EDIT : it appears to have corner pieces too which is unusual for a car speaker
    If you look closely at the pic there is another one in the background.

I'm backing away from a car box, I'm thinking a club install maybe. I also didn't notice that the speakers are not subs as called out above.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
    If you look closely at the pic there is another one in the background.
    Good point, car trunk speakers are usually one-offs, ie. rarely done in pairs but who knows?

EDIT : could be they're missing grilles too.. stuff you see in sound systems, dance stacks etc or in permanent installs hung from the ceiling at an angle downwards. Iirc Funktion One has (or had) similar wide-dispersion enclosures (like the F55/88, but my best guess is that it's an esoteric car sub)

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    these aren't subwoofers anyway, I doubt this box produces much low bass at all actually with those classic Vega PA drivers(rolled cloth surrounds).
    Quite right. Consumer level subs tend to have half-roll long excursion rubber or foam surrounds. The only subs that usually have cloth accordion surrounds are pro-sound models, and they don't go all that low, being designed more for high sensitivity than low extension.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quite right. Consumer level subs tend to have half-roll long excursion rubber or foam surrounds.
    Yes.. the Xplod or something (Pioneer etc) which was a familiar sight in trunks of early-80's Japanese cars during mid-2000's. (edit : iirc Eminence Lab for instance has rubber suspensions)

The only subs that usually have cloth accordion surrounds are pro-sound models, and they don't go all that low, being designed more for high sensitivity than low extension.
    They're essentially guitar/bass cab speakers (cardboard/paper cones and suspension) but the stuff like Eminence entry-level drivers etc go as low as 40-45Hz (which is E1, the lowest string in a standard-tuned bass guitar) iirc although the one I did was kind of honky, could've been due to lack of rockwool/damping (usually manufacturers list cone excursion/xmax in mm under T/S parameters/tech specs, fitting a grill on top of one is another thing)