Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Are These Cerwin Vega Speakers?

What Are These Cerwin Vega Speakers?

I picked up a pair of these Cerwin Vega Speakers at a thrift store. Can anyone tell me what they are?

20200805_174114.jpg

My guess is it was intended for permanent installation in a club. It might even be a homemade box with C-V woofers.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Looks like a ported sub enclosure for a vehicle.

Show a pic of the back, and also how it is hooked up.

A sub wouldn't have tweeters. AFAIK C-V has never done auto sound.
    Bill Fitzmaurice

Oh yeah, CV do auto sound: https://cerwinvegamobile.com/
    Here's what they recommend for a golf cart https://cerwinvegamobile.com/product...ofers/spcl182/

Regarding the speaker in the pic, I'm with Bill on that it looks homebrew or "custom" with CV drivers. My guess with what looks like a slightly slanted baffle is that it was made to be mounted on the wall up against the ceiling and firing downwards but it's hard to tell from this angle.

I meant the original C-V, when it was owned by Gene Czerwinski. It's not the same company today, although the Gibson owned C-V brand still does pro-sound. The CVDA Holdings owned C-V brand is Cerwin-Vega in name only.
    Bill Fitzmaurice

Yeah, that definitely does not look like your usual CV box. Genuine CVs usually have a sticker somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
    Looks like a ported sub enclosure for a vehicle.

Show a pic of the back, and also how it is hooked up.
    I was going to say the same. Back when I was in high school I remember some (obviously rich) kids having similar looking enclosures in their cars/trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotropic27 View Post
    I was going to say the same. Back when I was in high school I remember some (obviously rich) kids having similar looking enclosures in their cars/trucks.
    I think what looks like tweeters are actually just trim for the ports for the subs, without more info from the OP we can't tell for certain though.

Those are tweeters, you can see the flare of the horns. They're not the usual large format horns that C-V used in their 2 ways, another reason why I think it's a home made box.
    Back when I was in high school I remember some (obviously rich) kids having similar looking enclosures in their cars/trucks.
    You can find 12" car subs in carpet covered boxes for a hundred bucks. In any event you'd never build a sub box with the drivers splayed outward. The intent of that is to widen dispersion (which, BTW, doesn't work) in the mids and highs where subs don't operate.
    Bill Fitzmaurice