Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FatBoy Slim MASTERCLASS

FatBoy Slim MASTERCLASS

Know your tunes

Love your tunes

Take notes.

I loved that masterclass and wish there had been more (Fatboy Slim is one of my idols - check out the back to back with Carl Cox at the Saatchi)

I was surprised when he said most of his stuff is now all the same bpm so he doesn't bother having to beat match and just leaves it all at zero! Listen to a set and you'd never think it doesn't move.

I've got a soft spot for Norman Cook based on his earlier productions and spending many a night seeing him DJ.
    Interesting because he's now basically not fully live-mixing by using pre-prepared mashups and warping the BPMs.
    I've often heard him with an off beat-match or record skip when playing live back in the day, more than other 'technical' DJs.
    But he always brought a party vibe that you could really get into if you left your pretentions at the door and got down with an open mind.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

He's been doing that for a while, different toys nothing new. Also, he's done that, right below. Saying nothing, just leaving that, it's one of my favourite DJ sets ever.

In this set he does have a record skipping at some point (it's a full vinyl set), but it landed sort of back on beat and did a double tap 7/8.

:edit: found it, 23:39 onwards, look at his face

:
    Last edited by Manu; 08-11-2020 at 12:30 PM.

No skips in his modern CDJs set. Also helps if you don't jump around you decks all the time.

You can see his house on the brighton seafront on google maps. Fair play to the geezer.

https://goo.gl/maps/gwmrYsr17DAJnKs37
    finally a mix by me

I think Norman is cool guy, he does everything with a smile and always tries to have fun.
    This video is an example of that

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I've got a soft spot for Norman Cook based on his earlier productions.
    But he always brought a party vibe that you could really get into if you left your pretentions at the door and got down with an open mind.
    Me toooo! ^^^
    The fact that he had numerous underground anthems and pop dance hits is a tremendous achievement. Not to mention all the remixes and alias releases.
    This track was a banger in my local club scenes. When I found out he was 1/2 of Mighty Dub Katz it made me happy
    Last edited by Dizzle; 08-13-2020 at 05:41 PM.

On a side note, I have the actual Masterclass subscription. Armin Van Helden and Deadmau5 are there. I can't bring myself to get excited about watching other people stare at their computer tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
    Me toooo! ^^^
    The fact that he had numerous underground anthems and pop dance hits is a tremendous achievement. Not to mention all the remixes and alias releases.
    This track was a banger in my local club scenes. When I found out he was 1/2 of Mighty Dub Katz it made me happy
    Yeah...he certainly knows a track, and certainly knows his way around a sampler. I got a few of his records, here's a couple that I sometimes play. He's a versatile chappy.

finally a mix by me

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
    On a side note, I have the actual Masterclass subscription. Armin Van Helden and Deadmau5 are there. I can't bring myself to get excited about watching other people stare at their computer tho.
    I watched the deadmau5 masterclass it was pretty funny and some good points in there, is armin van heldon's class any good? also is fatboy slims any good?