Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EV EKX 15P v YAMAHA DX15 v JBL PRX815W. Which one?

EV EKX 15P v YAMAHA DX15 v JBL PRX815W. Which one?

After 2 years of using budget speakers i now have funds to upgrade.

However, I am torn between these 3 speakers. The application is for mobile DJing for medium size venues. All 3 are within my budget and I will be getting a pair. The issue I have is that there are no dealers nearby where I can listen to them
    There are tone of reviews for all 3 but this can come from fanboys of the brand.

If anyone has reviewed or heard all 3, can you recommend please?

P. S: sub will be added at some point in the future.

If you're buying subs you don't need 15's.. get 12's instead.

I own DXR15s and EXK12ps and EKX18sp.
    The JBL PRX have an annoying auto mute function that is not defeatable so I'd rule them out.
    The DXRs are great sounding boxes but those EKX boxes make a fantastic system and I like the EV subs better than the Yamahas.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by ninjatzuu View Post
    After 2 years of using budget speakers i now have funds to upgrade.

However, I am torn between these 3 speakers. The application is for mobile DJing for medium size venues. All 3 are within my budget and I will be getting a pair. The issue I have is that there are no dealers nearby where I can listen to them
    There are tone of reviews for all 3 but this can come from fanboys of the brand.

If anyone has reviewed or heard all 3, can you recommend please?

P. S: sub will be added at some point in the future.
    What do you mean by “medium size”? I used to carry 15” subs, but they were WAY too much for most of the events I DJ’d. Certainly not worth the extra weight and strain on my back. Of course, my gigs are for older and mixed clientele, so they don’t expect or want a lot of loud thumping bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    What do you mean by “medium size”? I used to carry 15” subs, but they were WAY too much for most of the events I DJ’d. Certainly not worth the extra weight and strain on my back. Of course, my gigs are for older and mixed clientele, so they don’t expect or want a lot of loud thumping bass.

This is exactly my dilemma. Can't carry subs all the time. DJKIT advised to get the DXR15s as the bass is phenomenal and the components are made from nexo.

On the other hand Bax music have recommended ekx15s as they are versatile and have a great dsp.

I will only use subs on larger events, gyms, large hotel conference rooms.

I don't think the 12s will go low.

This is exactly my dilemma. Can't carry subs all the time. DJKIT advised to get the DXR15s as the bass is phenomenal and the components are made from nexo.

On the other hand Bax music have recommended ekx15s as they are versatile and have a great dsp.

I also note both the DXR15 & EKX 15p are rated at 134db.

I do a LOT of my events in hotel conference rooms. Generally 100-150 people. I use RCF EVOX-8’s exclusively now. I use two, but carry a third if needed. Hotel conference rooms usually have pretty good acoustics, so a little bass goes a LONG way.

This is exactly my dilemma. Can't carry subs all the time.
    Why not? If you really don't need a lot of SPL why don't you look at downsizing the whole rig.. maybe buy 8" or 10" tops and 15" subs.

DJKIT advised to get the DXR15s as the bass is phenomenal and the components are made from nexo. .
    No and NO. Bass output is OK but pales compared to any system with a sub, and Nexo contributed to the DSP since Yamaha owns them but none of the speaker components come from that company.

They do have great DSP and I'm certain you would like the sound they produce just like I'm sure you would like the DXR15s too, but..

They will get you thorough any event a 15" would.. there really isn't a lot of difference in output or lowend extension between 12's and 15's from the same series.

And the reason I'm more than confident making these statements is because I own DXR15's as well as EKX12ps and 18sp's. The EKX 12's with even a single 18 sub TOTALLY DESTROYS a pair of DXR15, it's no contest at all in terms of lowend output.. not even close. And I have done small events with the EKX12's alone and it was fine, I've done really small events with ZLX12p's alone! But don't get the impression I don't like the DXR15's because I do, they are really sweet sounding speakers with quite impressive output capability but they're quite a but bigger and harder to mount on a stand than the 12" boxes so I don't bring them out unless a DJ specifically asks for them.
    Last edited by conanski; 08-10-2020 at 04:56 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

If after all that you're just going to ignore me and by a 15" speaker anyway(don't worry about it... I'll live... lol) I'd vote for the EKX15p. I really like the DXR15s but the EV boxes have a much more versatile DSP setup and the matching subs are awesome.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    If after all that you're just going to ignore me and by a 15" speaker anyway(don't worry about it... I'll live... lol) I'd vote for the EKX15p. I really like the DXR15s but the EV boxes have a much more versatile DSP setup and the matching subs are awesome.
    So would having a pair of 12s and a single 15inch sub achieve better results than a pair of 15s.

I'm thinking a pair of ekx12p and single ekx 15s. I would go for the 18sp but thinking if there is a significant difference in the weight.
    Last edited by ninjatzuu; 08-10-2020 at 07:43 PM.

So would having a pair of 12s and a single 15inch sub achieve better results than a pair of 15s.
    Most definitely yes.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com