Thread: Mobile DJ just starting out and need some advice

Mobile DJ just starting out and need some advice

I'm after a bit of advice...I'm taking the plunge and setting myself up as a mobile DJ...I've got a reasonable buffer to keep me going for a while what with COVID-19 based redundancy, and although now's not a great time to be a DJ, it's the only opportunity I can see me ever having at the age of 44. I have been doing this for a good few years as a hobby, and would say I'm intermediate.

Now, the advice bit. I've been putting myself out there, doing free sets for local garden parties over the summer, firstly for family and friends, then for people I don't know so I can get experience and unbiased feedback, which has all been very good.

Now the redundancy is coming up, and I need to start charging...problem is, I really don't know what a usual charge amount and structure is...is it per hour? Dependant on the event itself?

For the most part, I'll be doing house/garden parties until we're allowed to do weddings and so on in large venues. Until then I have all the kit I need, and plan on hiring equipment for larger venues when the time comes (until financially viable to buy my own).

So yeah...what should I be charging basically? I've found people pretty party starved at the moment as lock-down restrictions start easing...

Depends on where you are & the market there. I am in a rural area in the deep south. Average DJ here is in the area of about $100 an hr for basic services. Beginners here start at about $50 an hr. With about 18 years in a mobile business, I was at $125 - $150 per hr range for basic services.

Some people charge by the hr, some charge by the package. Everyone has their own idea about the best way to price. We have several on here that charge various ways. Personally, I dont do packages. Generally, I charge a minimum for 3 hrs, then an hourly rate plus any additional equipment &/or services added beyond "basic services".

Again, location matters. If I was in a 3 million plus metro area, I'd be charging about 2 - 3 times what I currently charge in my southern rural area.

Good luck.....
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Beats View Post
    I need to start charging...problem is, I really don't know what a usual charge amount and structure is...is it per hour? Dependant on the event itself?

So yeah...what should I be charging basically?
    That is the question, isn't it? Everyone grapples with it... pricing and a DJ name (sigh).

In all seriousness, what I do is define the event and price accordingly. For example, if there's a dinner/dance event, I say that I'll do four hours (say 6-10) at $X and then say if you want to go longer, it's $Y per hour. From there, the discussion tends to go to musical style, lighting, and other details.

As always, YMMV. Have fun.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.

Thanks both...I'm UK based, outskirts of London...I think I may go package based...probably easier to manage and market promotions on those packages.

As for DJ name...yes, it took a lot of time coming up with one. Ace Beats is the company name as it's more "family" friendly and marketable than what I was originally thinking. "XGen", so I took that on as a DJ name instead. Ace Beats is a bit cheesy, but is more personal than it seems, being a play on letters of my kid's names...something only I would ever notice, but still. XGen in pretty straightforward. I'm a Generation Xer. That's about as far as the thinking went with that one!

I started out charging $100 per hour with a 4 hour minimum. That means I got at least $400 per event. Additional time is $100 per hour, prorated by the half hour. If the gig goes 30 minutes over, itís $50. If it goes 31 minutes over, itís $100. Thatís still how I price myself 6 years later. There are other DJís in the area who are in the price range, but there are a few who charge less. To me, itís not worth spending my time and effort to do an event if it doesnít pay at least $400. Guys get MUCH more for weddings and Sweet Sixteenís, but I donít do those events. Iím an old dude, so I cater to an older clientele.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk