Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed with live electronic set/setup

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    This is a neat beginning of a journey. I commend you, efinque. What I can't tell is if you're just trying to cover a song or live remix it.

For examples of live remixing, check out DJEnferno TV
    Thanks!

For every producer out there I highly suggest doing paper sheet music of your songs.. I currently am in a situation where my PC won't start and all the MIDI data is in there so in order to do a live set of my own songs I have to learn to play them by ear (if they're playable, that is) which is a daunting task.

Good (and bad) thing is I'm on a 6 month sick leave; I can't do any gigs so basically I have the time to work things out, although my TB-03 sequencer memory is full so I'll stick to the current cover set for now as I think I have dues to pay and the ground work to do before starting to play originals.

EDIT : technically they're all live remixes, not full covers, I just grab the melody, play it a couple of times and arpeggiate three(!) of the melody notes sometimes with one note an octave transposed up so it produces an interesting, kind of a neverending hypnotic effect (it sounds a bit like a car alarm using a supersaw for instance), then tweak the volume envelope release to build momentum.. I noticed my live setup and the aforementioned technique works particularly well for trance music too so I'm looking more into that kind of stuff.

I've been working on a live set with my techno alias as well:

YouTube link

It's a track from my debut album released in 2014, reworked to a dawless environment.

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    I've been working on a live set with my techno alias as well
    I can see Next Level, Player Two, and Bring It On hitting on the dancefloor if remixed to have more breakdowns and massive drops.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    I can see Next Level, Player Two, and Bring It On hitting on the dancefloor if remixed to have more breakdowns and massive drops.
    You know my tracks?! Woah. I never learned to play Next Level although I wanted to include it in my set.. (read: the main hook has a chord progression and my TB-03 song memory is full of cover songs)

Anyway, regarding the original project I had a couple of flyers printed and I'm very satisfied with the quality. There's no way to print A3 in my hometown anymore so I took a trip to the nearest city.. it was kinda expensive but worth it, I had some other errands to run as well.

EDIT : here's a shot of the flyers

Started working on an all-in-one roadcase for the setup (drum machine, bass synth, keys and the mixer)

Here's the hinges, handle, latches, wheels and rubber feet:

Some sawing:

And the pine boards :

The frame put together with dowels:

The complete box from which I've yet to saw the lid off and paint:

Weight and size is the main issue here.. with wheels it's going to be easier to move around. I have a spare adjustable keyboard stand which is (hopefully) going to support it. It measures roughly 1000x520x116mm and weighs about 12kg.

Inside I'm was looking to put foam inlay and pedalboard hook&loop tape to keep things in place.

Today I sawed the lid off and installed the lift-off hinges :

It's off by ~1mm (you can't see it in the picture) but it was my first try with these types of hinges, hopefully the latches hold it in one part. The lid comes off nicely but it's a very careful operation to put it back in place.

Fitted the case with all the gear :

It's a hassle-free setup! All I have to do is double-check it prior to haul and plug in on stage.

EDIT : next week or so I'll velcro tape everything in place.