Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying out techno

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotropic27 View Post
    You mentioned you mostly mix breaks? Do you happen to have a mix uploaded? Would be very interested in hearing a dark breaks set.
    No I don't have a dark breaks set. Well sort of. But its mixed emotion. I have 2 breaks mixes on my SoundCloud. 1 is kind of a clubby sound that's popular around here or was when I made it . The other is more of a psy breaks mix. More ravey sound to it.i I think the links are at the bottom of my post.
    I flooded in 2016 and lost all my records, computers and such. 20 years of music gone. $60k in vinyl alone. 100s of my personal mixes. I'm trying to start over but its tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by drop1 View Post
    I mix in key for sure when I have the option. I will mix out of key if the tracks aren't clashing but I am super picky about it. Don't be fooled. I'm not some super smooth mixer, I'm just good at choosing tracks that compliment each other. Put the right tracks together and they almost mix themselves. Im sure you've experienced this. Some trwcks just gell.

Let me ask you something. What did you think about the sound quality? I'm currently using the pioneer xdj xz in stand alone mode using USB sticks. It has the option to record straight from the mixer back to the USB stick. Thats exactly what this was.
    I think it sounds pretty good . I had a ddj sx2 and my mixes from that sounded awful to me.
    Ya, I've got a few records that are like that. One in particular - "Click" by Steve Angello and Sabastian Ingroso - seems to mix with just about anything.

I re-listened to sections using my old trusty AKG K-240's and then a second go with a pair of HD-25's. Through the AKG's everything sounded great - could have been a touch brighter in the highs, but overall thumbs way up .

The Sennheiser's on the other hand, were way too overpowering in the bass department. I could see my ears getting easily fatigued after a short while.

I know you didn't ask for a headphone comparo , but thought it may give you an idea of the quality of sound that I'm hearing on my end.

Hope this helps.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    Ya, I've got a few records that are like that. One in particular - "Click" by Steve Angello and Sabastian Ingroso - seems to mix with just about anything.

I re-listened to sections using my old trusty AKG K-240's and then a second go with a pair of HD-25's. Through the AKG's everything sounded great - could have been a touch brighter in the highs, but overall thumbs way up .

The Sennheiser's on the other hand, were way too overpowering in the bass department. I could see my ears getting easily fatigued after a short while.

I know you didn't ask for a headphone comparo , but thought it may give you an idea of the quality of sound that I'm hearing on my end.

Hope this helps.
    The songs I'm playing are bass heavy. Bass is never past12 o'clock on the mixer. I mean its techno
    Pounding low end is 99 percent of the genre lol. That's not an sq issue its a playback issue. If you are listening through dj headphones i can def understand it being bass heavy. My old school pioneers make every track sound like it has way to much bass.. not good for playback but needed in loud club environments!
    I'm running pioneer x10 headphones and they have NO BASS lol.. Sound awesome though but there is no way I could use them on a club. That punch just isn't there like it is in most dj headphones :/

Just coming across this thread now but I did listen to the set a month ago while working since it popped up on my feed. I'll give it another listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    I think Rek (cant remember his whole name either) may be right. That first mix sounds like one long track, no wonder I thought it went for too long.

Your mixing is some of the smoothest I've ever heard. Were you mixing by key as well?

I play on 3 sometimes 4 decks and I noticed this issue in my own sets a while back, I worked my butt off on a 3 track mashup but listening back, its hard to tell if it's just one long track being played. I know purposely try to mix well-known beats or classic tracks when I do this to make things a bit ore obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by drop1 View Post
    I flooded in 2016 and lost all my records, computers and such. 20 years of music gone. $60k in vinyl alone. 100s of my personal mixes. I'm trying to start over but its tedious.
    I cringed reading that. Had something similar happen to me. When I relocated to Miami I had all my records shipped over and stored them in plastic bins inside a shed in my backyard. I considered myself retired and stopped DJing all together after I moved so the records were untouched for a good 3 to 4 yrs until I got the itch to play again. I got my equipment out but when I went to get the bins out, they were all full to the rim with water. Rain was getting into the shed through the back and falling on to the bin. Never really checked back there to notice.

I don't think it was a 60k loss but definitely years of collecting gone. I managed to save one bin which is now inside, however, not being used as I moved on to digital setup shortly after all that. :/
    Last edited by Rek_Aviles; 09-17-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rek_Aviles View Post
    I cringed reading that. Had something similar happen to me. When I relocated to Miami I had all my records shipped over and stored them in plastic bins inside a shed in my backyard. I considered myself retired and stopped DJing all together after I moved so the records were untouched for a good 3 to 4 yrs until I got the itch to play again. I got my equipment out but when I went to get the bins out, they were all full to the rim with water. Rain was getting into the shed through the back and falling on to the bin. Never really checked back there to notice.

I don't think it was a 60k loss but definitely years of collecting gone. I managed to save one bin which is now inside, however, not being used as I moved on to digital setup shortly after all that. :/
    It was tough deciding to start again.

I likely wouldn't have but pioneer came out with the xdj xz.
    The fact that its a full rig stand alone at a reasonable price made the decision easier. I just need to add a couple more decks so i can get back to 4 and ill be happy.

Oh, and music. I have like maybe 30 tracks :/