Thread: Question about beat matching and Serato

Question about beat matching and Serato

Not sure if this is the right place for this question or the beginners forum, but I just have a quick question for other folks who use Serato DJ Pro and control vinyl. I'm new to mixing and overall I'm really happy with how it works since I wasn't interested in mixing without vinyl being part of the process, but the more I've been playing the more I notice that I seem to have an easier time matching up BPMs and keeping them matched when I'm mixing actual records. When I use the control vinyl and the Serato software it just seems like things are a bit off, but it's so subtle I'm not sure if it's just in my head. And for reference, I'm using a Pioneer DJ DJMS3 and two Audio-Technica ATLP1240USBXP as my decks. Anyone else notice this?

TL;DR version--does anyone else feel like it's slightly more difficult to keep BPMs in sync when using Serato control vinyl compared to mixing regular vinyl records?

did you play with your latency settings? maybe it is just the tt flutter.

Moving from vinyl to DVS is always a culture shock.
    A lot of it is in your head.
    There is a tendancy to go really surgical on the mixes and spend a load of time staring at the waveforms wondering why it doesn't seem perfect when it is 100% lined up.
    Thre reality is that mixing bass drums can sound strange as the frequencies do additive and destructive cancellation.
    A good way to notice this is using a DAW or software and lining up songs perfectly...sometimes it just sounds...weird.
    Sometimes it is better to just use your ears and manage the sound on EQs so it sounds good.
    Remember that your ears are a better tool than your eyes, and mixing isn't a science based on perfection.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

I do notice that I'm better off not looking at the BPM readings on the software. Seems like the more I treat it like regular vinyl the better things go.

Quote Originally Posted by farhanashraf View Post
    did you play with your latency settings? maybe it is just the tt flutter.
    I haven't really even begun to experiment with the settings but I will look into that, thanks.

The wow and flutter is specified at <0.1%, which isn't great when you compare with

Technics 1210 mk2 - <0.025%

Pioneer PLX 1000 - <0.01%

Also,if you're trying to mix sound relying on a screen, you will get it wrong.

I use my desktop PC so my screen isn't very conveniently placed anyways. I mostly just use it to queue up and quickly get an approximate BPM match and beyond that I just use my control vinyl like regular vinyl. Even with the fluctuations I'm still having a great time with it. I only got my equipment about a month ago so it's all a learning experience.