Thread: Speaker for djing in bedroom?

Speaker for djing in bedroom?

Looking for speakers for djing in bedroom, mixing dnb and garage. Budget approx £300. Considering one or two speakers, new or 2nd hand. Any good recommendations?

I am going to piggyback on this and bump the request for a recommendation. I just recently got my turntables and I've been using a set of Edifier R1280T bookshelf speakers, which are fine (my setup is in a fairly small home office), but I'd like something with a bit more kick.

That budget is tough. I love mixing on studio monitors with a sub but there is nothing I can think of that will fit your budget.
    You'd be better off looking for some hifi speakers. You'll get a LOT more speaker for your money but you'll need an amp too.

Yeah, I would definitely go for some hifi speakers as well. Heck, that's what I use at home For that budget, look for something used and with a used amp as well, that'll give you a pretty big bang for the buck

I'd look at studio monitors too.. handy in case you start producing, although they won't be as loud as a large hifi or PA speakers (it all depends on your goals whether you aim for live/mobile business or producing)

With PA tops for instance you may end up doing small gigs with (a hifi isn't good for this as aren't studio monitors although I've used them for after parties but you can't really mix/produce properly on a hifi as they generally enhance the sound, good for lounging though.. monitors are designed to have a flat frequency response) so I'd rule out the bookshelf hifi and get either PA or studio monitors (for the record I started out DJing with a pair of Sony hifi speakers in my home setup ca. 2006)

A 2nd hand PA/vocal cabs might be ok but I can't vouch for used studio monitors as they'll be in poor condition most likely (and harder to recone I'd figure), there are some entry level monitors (I had Fostex PM-series monitors for several years, now they're in storage though as I had to move, from what I heard Alesis and M-Audio are good too) within your price range however.

Iirc there is/was a master list of entry/mid-range/high-end brands and stuff to steer clear from regarding PA (you'll see lots of Laney, Peavey, Yorkville, Behringer, the Box etc on the 2nd hand market as people buy them as their first rig and quickly grow out of them)

if you are starting, any source will. When I started I used a boombox via auxiliary to my realistic mixer. I will suggest some studio monitors, I have a pair of M-Audio monitors(5" speaker) I believed I paid $300 for the pair. Dont let the size fool you, they get pretty loud for their compact size. You can pretty much get any decent pair of studio monitors on sale or even used and believed me the sounds is better and clear than anything out there.