Thread: Being approached by smaller labels.

Question Being approached by smaller labels.

Hey guys, Just within the last 2 months I've been contacted by 3 small independent "Labels" on Soundcloud.
    The first one only offers exposure, and has a blog style site where they direct traffic to you. I wouldn't really call them a label. so on to the next one.
    The second one hardly has any reach, When I researched them it looks like they have digital distribution only (which I have already if I release the tracks myself)
    Spotify, itunes, bandcamp, and all other streaming sites. They are not established with beatport, Juno, or Traxsource which is what I'm looking for. Not only that the label seems like they're roster building (shopping) and don't have any established artists. or a difinitive sound. On to the next one.

The third label seems a little more legit. Maybe you guys could help me out on doing some research.

name:
    HIGH FIDELITY RECORDS.

https://hf-records.com/

This is what they said to me when I asked if they indeed had access to release on the major dance music stores.

"We can definitely get your tracks to Beatport and other stores you've mentioned + Spotify and over 100 other major international music stores. We got ALL of them covered. I'm currently putting together our release schedule for the next 3+ months (only selected artists will be featured).
    Besides, our artists also have access to:
    - Promotion on all our social media channels, the main website, etc.
    - Marketing campaigns ran by our partners (various web sites, radios, TV, etc.);
    - Promotion to closed promo pool of +5000 artists/record labels, etc. ;
    - Beatport artist profile, Spotify artist profile, etc.
    - Anti-piracy and rights protection;
    - Vinyl press facilities (extra charge);
    - and so forth.
    These are some general requirements on our side:
    - Tracks must pass our quality screening and fit into our release schedule;
    - They must be original creations (no mash-ups, bootlegs or similar). If perhaps you decide to release a remix, you will need to have written permission from the original artist(s);
    - Packed in WAV format (standard 16BIT/44.1KHz);
    - Tracks should be mastered already (preferably); if not, we'll make a plan;
    - We'll need to sign a once-off contract where you will allow us to publish and distribute your music. Without this, we can't represent you and get your music into any store or streaming service. This contract can be just for a single track/EP/release or for a longer period if you decide to stick with us (btw. this is fully up to you, we'll never force you into anything).
    - Lastly, regarding the royalties collected, we'll offer you a fair deal that will be mentioned in the contract. Also, will provide you with the web access so you can monitor the sales and see how well your music is doing on Beatport and other stores/services.
    If this is something you are interested in and you're fine with our general requirements, please share links to your best-unreleased tracks with us (can be a SoundCloud link or 128Kbps MP3, whatever). Once our team takes a listen (this goes fairly quick) and if everything is fine, I'' ll come back to you so we can finalise the contract, and get your music into all music stores (approximately 2-4 weeks for all the stores, including Beatport)."

The site seems legit, but when I click on the beatport link to any of the tracks it sends me to the beatport progresive house Genre page.
    with no real link to the track from the site. I also searched their label on Beatport and Traxsource and came up with nothing.

So.... I don't know. I'm not going to go forward with HF-records. Something doesn't seem right.
    I have my eyes set on a couple of labels that my tracks woud sit well with. Which I know to be established and have great reach.

What are your thoughts guys??
    All BS or what?

Thanks~
    (((DJF member since 06')))

https://www.beatport.com/label/hf-records/35427/tracks

I have also started looking for a distributor and/or label.

regarding the royalties collected, we'll offer you a fair deal that will be mentioned in the contract
    Don't know why, but I just had some urge to buy some KY jelly just in case.

or for a longer period
    This in particular can become a nightmare. They release the track for a year (or whatever agreed period of time), then stop everything, but you may lose the right to re-publish later on.

Get your music copyrighted first and before touching any label.

The High Fidelity Records began in 2019, in Serbia, when two veterans of South African and Serbian electronic music scene
    Eurgh. They're a bit young, and credentials may be hard to verify...

Yeah, I'll just steer clear of them. lol
    I'll keep my eyes on the more established labels that fit my style.

I currently use Distrokid for distribution.
    Which will be for 100% original tracks. (if i sample anything it will be unrecognizabe)

I'm gonna pitch my other tracks to labels. (they have the means to clear samples)
    Last edited by Crushgroove; 07-25-2020 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling

So I'm assuming you cant release directly to beatport? I know there are other services you can release to yourself.

Aslo why not start up your own label? Places like beatport will ding you hard enough on sales. Wouldnt another middle man hir you even harder?

Quote Originally Posted by drop1 View Post
    So I'm assuming you cant release directly to beatport? I know there are other services you can release to yourself.
    no, they and others like it (traxsource?) deal with distributors... and maybe major labels directly, I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by drop1 View Post
    That would be nice, but like Rek says you need a distributor or an established Label. They were allowing smaller labels to release, but not anymore. You have to meet a certain criteria in order to release tracks.

yes ive been approached by some smaller labels too, with only facebook pages and beatport pages... is there any way to see how well a label is going on beatport? like metric data?