Thread: Is There a Market For DJ Gear?

Is There a Market For DJ Gear?

With the ongoing pandemic, my mobile DJ business has tanked. I expect it will come back to some degree at some point, although I do a lot of political fund raisers, and those events are pretty much gonna pass by this election year. However, I just bought a new controller, and I can’t say the deal I got was very much better than it would have been before the pandemic. The controller I bought was an open-box demo unit, and it was probably about $50 less than what a similar one would have cost back in December. I would have thought DJ gear would be HEAVILY discounted, considering we’re all currently sitting on the side lines.

So here’s my questions? Are there others out there buying new gear?
    Are you getting better discounts than you were 6-8 months ago? Is there a market for USED gear?

I’m paring down and have several controllers and other lightly used gear to sell. Are there any buyers out there, and have prices for used gear fallen or held steady?

Since the lockdown was lifted over here, two weeks ago I went out shopping for some gear, and the disappointment was:

Shops jacked the prices up prior to lockdown.

They are still selling the same stock and / or they are trying to flog second hand stock and returns and pass it off as new.

A lot are doing some bait and switch. They have only empty boxes on the shelf, and it you take anything on the shelf, the till guy tell you they don't have it but you can buy this instead. I told the staff no deal, that's not how I shop. On the spot I said that's typical of a shop that's about to shut down. And shut down forever they did on Monday this week.

I was shopping for some premium wireless headphones for wireless everything, I went through 3 different headphones from 4 shops until I got something that actually works.

Right now, I'm going to avoid pretty much all tech shops unless I really need something.

I don't see the DJ gear market slowing down, except for whatever not available, Pioneer has stopped production for the moment.

For everything USED, I'm still going to the same shop as I get monster discounts because I've known the owner for 25 years.

have prices for used gear fallen or held steady?
    I would not say that. A bargain is where you find it.

If anything the used market is more difficult to get a bargain.

I'm hunting for an amp and i'm thinking that all the people off work have their eyes all over eBay, that added to the fact that anything old and decent seems to be costing close to its original price due to inflation and lack of quality in modern gear.
    Also anyone with money for decent stuff always has money, even in a crisis, so lack of buyer funds aint an issue.

If it carries on much more it will push me towards buying some class D Chi-fi.

So from that point of view, selling should be easier than in the past.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post

I'm hunting for an amp and i'm thinking that all the people off work have their eyes all over eBay, that added to the fact that anything old and decent seems to be costing close to its original price due to inflation and lack of quality in modern gear.

If it carries on much more it will push me towards buying some class D Chi-fi.
    I’m wondering if sellers are holding off on listing their used gear, waiting for the DJ economy to recover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not in my area. The shops have been closed for almost 3 months, and they want to sell to make up for the losses.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I just yesteday paid well over the odds for a used Vestax PDX 2000. There were always a few for sale on ebay (UK) prior to the lockdown. Since the lockdown I've hardly seen any for sale. Two auctions I were watching over the last month disappeared, so I'm assuming the seller must have had a private offer and removed them for listing.

I got sick of waiting for a bargain, and I was getting desperate, so put a very high bid in to obtain the Vestax yeterday.

I know my evidence is ancedotal but their seems to be lots of demand for used items.

I was reading a report on Google trends during covid and the lockdown, it seems like any hobby (like DJ'ing) which could be done at home has experienced a massive spike in demand. I know gaming PC sales have seen a surge too. I do think it's tapered off a little now, but I still think there more demand than usual
    Last edited by djkippax; 07-24-2020 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelling
    The battleline between good and evil runs through the heart of every man. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by djkippax View Post
    I know gaming PC sales have seen a surge too. I do think it's tapered off a little now, but I still think there more demand than usual
    I know here in Lincoln (Nebraska, USA) used computers and used laptops are selling for a lot more than they were pre-COVID-19. Even new computers and laptops are fairly scarce. The Walmart and Best Buy shelves for computers and laptops are always almost empty.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Lately I have fallen back to my two main tech dealers after wasting my time on the shops trying to flog out whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by djkippax View Post
    it seems like any hobby (like DJ'ing) which could be done at home has experienced a massive spike in demand. I know gaming PC sales have seen a surge too. I do think it's tapered off a little now, but I still think there more demand than usual
    I can believe it. I went to a local Best Buy and they had next to NO desktops left in store. I manage to grab the last one. Sales clerk told me that computers would sell out as soon as they would get a shipment.
    It would appear the DJ equipment sales are the same.
    "All I ever wanted to do was hear music that I like and play it to other people" - John Peel