Thread: How all those individuals' YouTube channels exist?

How all those individuals' YouTube channels exist?

Hi, I just registered here and one of the first posts I read was about a new YouTube channel of a user and that reminded me a long-standing question I have...

Many years ago, when I was still heavily involved with the music/DJing, I started my own channel, were I was uploading my favorites tracks that had purchased. I wanted to create an informative channel with quality electronic dance music, that I was discovering. I had no ads on the channel, and wrote the note about the copyrights etc...
    After a few months my channel got closed by YouTube.

Since then, I am seeing all these music related YouTube channels. How they are able and free to upload regularly new tracks and releases?
    OK, some of them are from the labels, or artists, or other copyright owners... but there are so many that are not.

I have seen some of them include a note in the description about the copyrights and ask copyright owners to get in touch for track removal..., others mentions that this is for supporting the artists, etc...
    Many of those channels have thousands of uploads and subscribers. So, how they do it?

Did you buy the music you were featuring?

We buy music from places like beatport and the artist knows damn well we will perform with it. I'm not up to date on the laws but seems like if you paid for it you should be able to feature it with the proper disclaimers.

You may want to give youtube another try. They have gotten a lot better on letting music stay on there. Mainly because they give the royalties to the artist. In the old days, they just deleted everything. The artist figured out that they get royalties if they leave the music on there, so a lot of them, let the video stay. But there are no set rules on what stays and what doesn't. Your video might get a copy right strike and get taken down, but then you do a search, and a thousand other people have the same song up. They are not doing anything different than you, some of them stay up, and some of them get taking down. There is no secret to having your stuff stay up. It does help if you are monetized. To get monetized, I believe you need 1000 subscribers, and 4000 hours of views a month. So before you start putting up individual songs, get monetized first. Getting monetized is the hard part.

Yea I am no expert but I know a little bit.

If you have got the right kind of youtube account, your videos will be "monetized".. that is, you get paid when they are watched. You have to reach a certain number of views for that, it's not easy you need a lot of viewers to make money.

Back in the old days, if your content was a copyright violation, the copyright holder would complain to youtube and take down your video. The copyright holder just cared about the money they made selling records/CD's/Digital/radio play/or whatever and not about youtube except to make sure the music was not on youtube so that people would have to go elsewhere and buy it....

But now things are quite different, there are "official" music videos on youtube, the copyright holders who used to hate youtube now make money having their music on there.
    So the policies have changed quite a bit.

And one thing that happens now is that people who put up music that is not theirs can.. instead of having their video taken down, will just have it "demonetized" which means they don't get any money for those views, the copyright holder gets them.

They're very efficient because there are automated systems that detect copyrighted music in a video even if it's a short clip.

And yea, sometimes the videos still get taken down. It depends.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    And yea, sometimes the videos still get taken down. It depends.
    True, if your videos are not setup to earn revenue, the most you will get is an email stating that material on your video was claimed. Here's part of one of the emails I get when I upload a mix or rmashup.

A copyright owner using Content ID claimed some material in your video.

This is just a heads up
    Don’t worry. You’re not in trouble and your account standing is not affected by this.

There are either ads running on your video, with the revenue going to the copyright owner, or the copyright owner is receiving stats about your video’s views.

What's next?
    If there are no problems, you don’t need to take any action. You don't need to delete your video.

If something went wrong and the copyright owner or our system made a mistake, we have a dispute process. Only use it if you’re confident you have the rights to use all the content in your video.

- The YouTube Team

Hi - guys. Thanks for this input. It gives a fresh perspective on the topic.
    Because I have a lot of music and I really wanted to push my favorites tracks and playlists somehow, but back then by taking my channel down I got disappointed and never looked back.
    These days, I have again my passion for music awake, so I may re-consider.
    Have a good day everyone.