Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to add digital capability to predominately vinyl set-up

How to add digital capability to predominately vinyl set-up

Hi all
    Would be interested to hear peoples' thoughts and ideas.

I’m an old(er) bloke who likes to play/mix Brazilian, latin, African. World, jazz, etc. I have a decent vinyl collection but also have a lot of tracks on CD and mp3 (some of which I'll never find on vinyl). Home set-up only, live broadcasts etc. Not scratching/producing, and audio quality definitely a bigger priority than bells and whistles.

I’ve got two turntables. I’m looking at my options for adding the capacity to mix/play CDs/mp3 with the vinyl, and need some pointers as to suitable methods/mixers/set-ups.

Option 1: CDJs
    Pro - straightforward. Can play both CD and mp3. Just plug in to line in.
    Cons - more clutter/extra space. New ones are bloody expensive, probably with way more features than I need. 2nd hand might be an option.
    Option 2: DVS
    I've researched using DVS as a system, but I absolutely want to be able to seamlessly + immediately switch from 'real' vinyl to timecode vinyl (i.e. mix one with the other; use both decks for both etc). I'm interested in the A&H Xone23c but it seems once the internal mod is done to enable DVS you can't switch to (real) vinyl? Are there equivalent mixers that can switch easily? Or another A&H? Only need 2 channels, btw.
    Option 3: DJ controller w/ phono inputs
    Pro - convenient, tidy
    Con - lose that lovely analogue A&H sound; most of them look awful

Another option is to play straight from a laptop (ie to analogue mixer w/ soundcard), but I really don't want to do that

Any pointers or other options/solutions would be welcome. Apologies if I’m missing something obvious - like I said, mainly a vinyl user (and old lol).

Cheers

If you already have decks and a mixer then DVS is the way forward.
    All the advantages of digital with none of the drawbacks of CDJs / controllers.
    They are made specifically for using records and digital files together.
    You can even use FX from the DVS system over your original records.
    Best of all, when using digital tracks, the only vinyl wear that you get is the control vinyl, which is cheap and replaceable (plus, objectively, the digital files will have better sound)

The main advantage for us dinosaurs is that it feels exactly like mixing with records; mixing on CDJs / controllers just isn't as enjoyable and may even turn you off mixing. You may even notice an improvement in sound quality going through the DVS interface's preamps, compared to the cheap preamps used on most DJ mixers.

If sound quality is what you are aiming for then you could even use an expesive DAC with the DVS, but that is probably gonna take some research on exactly how to do it wit the DVS you are using.

Look into Traktor scratch.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    If you already have decks and a mixer then DVS is the way forward.
    All the advantages of digital with none of the drawbacks of CDJs / controllers.
    They are made specifically for using records and digital files together.
    You can even use FX from the DVS system over your original records.
    Best of all, when using digital tracks, the only vinyl wear that you get is the control vinyl, which is cheap and replaceable (plus, objectively, the digital files will have better sound)

The main advantage for us dinosaurs is that it feels exactly like mixing with records; mixing on CDJs / controllers just isn't as enjoyable and may even turn you off mixing. You may even notice an improvement in sound quality going through the DVS interface's preamps, compared to the cheap preamps used on most DJ mixers.

If sound quality is what you are aiming for then you could even use an expesive DAC with the DVS, but that is probably gonna take some research on exactly how to do it wit the DVS you are using.

Look into Traktor scratch.
    Thanks Pete, that's very helpful. Do you know if the Allen and Heath Xone23c can do both DVS and 'real vinyl' simultaneously? I did some research and there seems to be some doubt about this (but mu audio equipment knowledge is not up to date).

And while I'm asking questions about DVS ... how do I select tracks from the laptop? Do DVS mixers have track selection, or do I need to poke around with the laptop (which I really don't want to do)? Cheers

The 23C seems to fit your requirements. I usually would recommend an audio interface and software. More flexibility, but more expensive. But that Allen and Heath seems good value. You will have to purchase timecode vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StDsJi6o_CI

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...ecords.217049/

https://blog.native-instruments.com/...-traktor-sets/

Poking around on the laptop is par for the course, unless you connect a midi controller to the latop (and yes, even your android phone can work as a midi controller).
    I would recommend using the laptop. Scrolling through 1000 songs requires you eyes and your hands, you can't get away from it.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    The 23C seems to fit your requirements. I usually would recommend an audio interface and software. More flexibility, but more expensive. But that Allen and Heath seems good value. You will have to purchase timecode vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StDsJi6o_CI

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...ecords.217049/

https://blog.native-instruments.com/...-traktor-sets/

Poking around on the laptop is par for the course, unless you connect a midi controller to the latop (and yes, even your android phone can work as a midi controller).
    I would recommend using the laptop. Scrolling through 1000 songs requires you eyes and your hands, you can't get away from it.
    That's great information, thanks

After you do the dvs mod on the 23C you can also play normal vinyl without any problem and switch between it and dvs. BUT! Problem is you don't have a gain control on the mixer for the dvs input, it needs to be done in the software, which means you need a controller knob mapped for that. A&H did this on purpose to make you buy their K2, which is an expensive overkill for your requirements. You can do with some cheaper controller, but you need to know mapping. For example Numark dj2go2 (touch or no-touch edition, doesn't matter). It has browse/load and volume/gain knobs, just what you need, but has to be mapped. There's a ready-ish mapping for http://djplayerpro.com/, the only app that allows you to have very good dvs on your iphone/pad/pod. Since you don't need any trickery, just load a track and play it as normal vinyl, I'd say this is the best option to look into. Traktor, Serato, Rekordbox are (again) overkill imo, and need a bulky laptop. DJ player pro is no slouch.
    This could be the best scenario, but two things to be wary about:
    - 23c had reports of bleeding faders. If you run on such unit, chances are you'll have problems with the dvs i.e. the timecode signal may bleed into the master, which renders the mixer unusable for dvs
    - hopefully the 23c soundcard will work nicely with ios, but you never know.

Another option is Pioneer djm 250mk2. Switching to dvs is piece of cake. Downsides:
    - it's digital, unlike the 23c, meaning your real records get ad/da conversion
    - doesn't work with ios, must use laptop with Traktor or Rekordbox.

I have another suggestion, a route I'd personally go, but before spilling the beans I need to know your current mixer.

Great thread. Interested in the same thing. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a cheap laptop that would be good for something like Serato? I just got a mixer that came with the Serato (and I added some control vinyl) but I don't want to install it on my desktop and figured I'd just buy a cheap laptop that would be easier to utilize.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    After you do the dvs mod on the 23C you can also play normal vinyl without any problem and switch between it and dvs. BUT! Problem is you don't have a gain control on the mixer for the dvs input, it needs to be done in the software, which means you need a controller knob mapped for that. A&H did this on purpose to make you buy their K2, which is an expensive overkill for your requirements. You can do with some cheaper controller, but you need to know mapping. For example Numark dj2go2 (touch or no-touch edition, doesn't matter). It has browse/load and volume/gain knobs, just what you need, but has to be mapped. There's a ready-ish mapping for http://djplayerpro.com/, the only app that allows you to have very good dvs on your iphone/pad/pod. Since you don't need any trickery, just load a track and play it as normal vinyl, I'd say this is the best option to look into. Traktor, Serato, Rekordbox are (again) overkill imo, and need a bulky laptop. DJ player pro is no slouch.
    This could be the best scenario, but two things to be wary about:
    - 23c had reports of bleeding faders. If you run on such unit, chances are you'll have problems with the dvs i.e. the timecode signal may bleed into the master, which renders the mixer unusable for dvs
    - hopefully the 23c soundcard will work nicely with ios, but you never know.

Another option is Pioneer djm 250mk2. Switching to dvs is piece of cake. Downsides:
    - it's digital, unlike the 23c, meaning your real records get ad/da conversion
    - doesn't work with ios, must use laptop with Traktor or Rekordbox.

I have another suggestion, a route I'd personally go, but before spilling the beans I need to know your current mixer.
    Thanks Stomp - I don't currently have a mixer so definitely interested in your suggestion! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by vyvafc View Post
    Thanks Stomp - I don't currently have a mixer so definitely interested in your suggestion! Cheers
    Since you want good sound from your records get some good phono preapms, split the signal with y cables, one to the mixer, the other to the soundcard and from there to the other input of the mixer = you choose between vinyl and dvs with the input switch on the mixer. But, I don't know of any good quality analog two channel mixer for non-crazy price, so you're back to 23(c).

You can also consider Phase dvs, which is like a digital layer on top of your turntables, but you don't have needle drop with it.