Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to add digital capability to predominately vinyl set-up

Just wanted to say that I ended up connecting my Pioneer DJ DJMS3 to my desktop and it was incredibly easy to download the Serato program and immediately start mixing songs using the control vinyl (the DJMS3 immediately activates Serato DJ Pro once you connect it to whatever computer has the Serato software). Mixing between digital and regular vinyl is a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotropic27 View Post
    Mixing between digital and regular vinyl is a breeze.
    Sure is, only regular vinyl gets ad/da conversion, which is not desired by the audiophile perfectionist dj, although it's not really noticeable.

So I'm still going with this - mainly cos I've been head-down flat-out these past few weeks and haven't had headspace to move it on.
    I really appreciate the info and ideas people have posted - many thanks.
    But is there one more <interim> option I could consider? I have a DDJ400 controller (did a few community gigs with it before getting back in to vinyl): it has a 'master out', can I not just use that as a media player, putting it through the 'line in' of a Xone 23? This is just to play digital tracks.
    Bit bench-space-hungry, not ideal long-term ... but would it work?

So: two turntables, analogue mixer, DJ controller, laptop. For switching between vinyl and digital. Turntables into phono inputs: controller in to line. Controller fed by laptop (I use Rekordbox)

I see pros as:
    - I've already got it
    - with DVS I'm going to be fiddling with the laptop anyway, and the DDJ has track selection function
    - I can completely control the switching between digital and vinyl on the mixer itself, not having to engage 'thru' mode on Traktor (for eg)

Cons
    - not sure really - I assume there are some
    - maybe there's a blindingly obvious reason it can't work i've missed because i've not thought it through?!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by vyvafc View Post
    So I'm still going with this - mainly cos I've been head-down flat-out these past few weeks and haven't had headspace to move it on.
    I really appreciate the info and ideas people have posted - many thanks.
    But is there one more <interim> option I could consider? I have a DDJ400 controller (did a few community gigs with it before getting back in to vinyl): it has a 'master out', can I not just use that as a media player, putting it through the 'line in' of a Xone 23? This is just to play digital tracks.
    Bit bench-space-hungry, not ideal long-term ... but would it work?

So: two turntables, analogue mixer, DJ controller, laptop. For switching between vinyl and digital. Turntables into phono inputs: controller in to line. Controller fed by laptop (I use Rekordbox)

I see pros as:
    - I've already got it
    - with DVS I'm going to be fiddling with the laptop anyway, and the DDJ has track selection function
    - I can completely control the switching between digital and vinyl on the mixer itself, not having to engage 'thru' mode on Traktor (for eg)

Cons
    - not sure really - I assume there are some
    - maybe there's a blindingly obvious reason it can't work i've missed because i've not thought it through?!

Cheers
    that will work. the only downside is that you will not have DVS control with your record players; they will just be used for real vinyl.
    but more than enough really.

I can remember DJs at school dances using tape decks to play tracks. We really have nothing to complain about these days.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix