Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The dumbing down of Pop

Quote Originally Posted by c-hawk View Post
    So this guys "opinion" is that because production quality is higher, newer music is better?!????? YIKES!
    Actually the take away is that music used to be controlled by a very tiny group of record labels and recording studios were expensive and out of reach of most musicians and songwriters.

Music used to be a lot more cookie-cutter and generic prior to the digital age where high-quality recordings are available to anyone with a computer, access to the internet, a little research (tutorials) on how to make high-quality recordings, and a small investment in studio equipment. (Microphones, acoustics, mic stands & screens, musical instruments, etc.)

It's why genre mixing (genre blending) used to be so rare, but now is so common.

The arguments in this thread against modern music fall into 2 categories:

1. Boomer mentality (OK Boomers)
    Selecting the best from the past and comparing it to the worst of the present.

2. People still blindly following what the big record labels are pushing today instead of looking for music on their own.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 07-14-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

No no no. Music peaked with Thriller and it's been all downhill ever since. House music, rave, and dance music in general are the exceptions, of course. Why?

'Cause THIS IS THRILLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

You can even hear the horns playing, can't you? Now all we need is some cuteness to really seal the argument... Hmmmm... This will work.

-KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Nice pic of a young dangerous predator.

and michael jackson.

or tiger.

as for the quality of modern pop music...I don't go out of my way to listen to it or worry about it. crap music is always about no matter the year.

although that Eilish chick, there's a special place in hell... hopefully the deaf corner.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    The arguments in this thread against modern music fall into 2 categories:
    Taking the easy way out I see.. blaming it on the Boomers.

I'm a GenX'r so I get it from both sides, my father thinks my music tastes are "sickadelic". I say don't you mean psychedelic and he says.. NO!

The facts are.... POP music has always been cheap disposable trash, 6-8 weeks and it's gone and replaced with new crap. There are lots of genres outside POP that are better in many ways but that's not what this thread is about. It's about how POP has been reduced from a what used to be a 2.5-3 min song to a ring tone.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

There's that "Bhad Bhabie" trash girl, she released a song that's shorter than a movie trailer. I take no responsibility for anything after you pressed play, it is that bad, so the "bhad" monicker is somewhat accurate.

Check out the lyrical content

Thanks, Atlantic Records.

I have an eardrum

I have a pen

Hmmfffgghhh

Eardrum pen

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Nice pic of a young dangerous predator.

and michael jackson.

or tiger.
    Yep. Tongue was fully planted in cheek for that post.

Pop/Top N are judged based on commercial results, not musical style. Due to this, I propose that Pop/Top N isn't an actual genre. So there.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Pop/Top N are judged based on commercial results, not musical style. Due to this, I propose that Pop/Top N isn't an actual genre. So there.
    Pop has never had a musical style it has always been based purely on sales. (Currently digital, records before that, sheet music before that.)

#1 for 5 weeks in 1966 in the USA
    2:30

#4 in 1944 in the USA
    2:44
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by c-hawk View Post
    So this guys "opinion" is that because production quality is higher, newer music is better?!????? YIKES!
    He just made a completely opposite statement in another video. Then me knowing that band (Pantera) inside out, I can safely state that he does not have much of a clue. More like "how they got big", according to what I know of them but I didn't do my research. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbkv1S3uzxI

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    There's that "Bhad Bhabie" trash girl, she released a song that's shorter than a movie trailer.
    Yeah that's crap, I gave up after 20 seconds.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com