Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The dumbing down of Pop

The dumbing down of Pop

That guy is covering pretty much all bases. A 20 minute in depth analysis.

Yep, the music industry learned what it takes to make a hit in the '70s and '80 and had perfected in-house manufacture by y2k, completely reversing the way the industry works.

This is the first time I have seen somebody else classify the Beatles as POP, I have always been of that opinion and was never much of a fan. But at least they created music which is more than can be said for what passes as "popular music" these days, I'd go even further and say that much of the crap people listen to now doesn't even qualify as music anymore. I have never been interested in lyrics, if a song has some catchy or fun lyrics that is fine, I don't even care if the lyrics are sensible or connected they can just be random nonsense, but the track has to have something else of interest that goes beyond a catchy beat or I get bored real quick. A catchy beat is a song into it's not the whole song, so if I don't hear something else happening after 30 seconds I'm moving on. The idea of a familiar song formula being attractive is valid, but I think this is something that the article didn't go far enough with, pop has gone from something that at least had a few components in the formula to no formula at all, it' s gone from tracks that had an instrumental intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/end which is overlaid with corresponding vocals to a catchy Intro(hook) overlaid with the same single vocal line repeated ad nauseum. Pop music has always been easy simple stuff but what we have now is just brain dead, I think it's been distilled down way too much in the never ending quest to come up with something different. There couldn't be a better example of this than Billie Eilish, this one appeared out of nowhere, was suddenly everywhere on radio and social media, won awards and was used in TV commercials... all the space of a month or so! That screams purpose built industry product to me, it never happens that fast. And without a doubt this one sounds different but that is where it ends, there is nothing of musical interest in that product IMO, I was bored of her "big hit" 30 seconds into the first time I heard it and I don't like it any more now. I'm so glad I'm not a DJ now, I couldn't do it. It would be a lot more work for sure, I'd be sampling 10-30sec clips from current pop(the only bits worth listening to) and mixing them with or over real music.
    Last edited by conanski; 07-12-2020 at 12:15 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

I've never been much of a fan of The Beatles either, but still, their sound engineering techniques for creative purposes were pretty much unheard of, and ground breaking in every aspect. It has to be said. I studied them for while and learned a lot. And I do mean a lot.

What is missing in the video, is the use of autotune these days.

I do listen to a lot of bands I don't understand the language, because foreign. I still enjoy it regardless.

I listened to that Billie girl for a couple of minutes. She's got the voice range and power of a mosquito.

Last edited by Manu; 07-12-2020 at 01:40 PM.

New Music Is Better Than Old Music. This Is Why!
    19:29
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

LOL... I think that actually provides more proof that modern music is worse.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Yes

YES

He included that footage.

YEEESSSS

Where Does Your Music Taste Come From?
    3:06
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    New Music Is Better Than Old Music. This Is Why!
    19:29
    So this guys "opinion" is that because production quality is higher, newer music is better?!????? YIKES!

Quote Originally Posted by c-hawk View Post
    So this guys "opinion" is that because production quality is higher, newer music is better?!????? YIKES!
    Production quality isn't higher though. Despite the fact that the average Joe or Jane can have a vastly superior production system in their bedroom than pro studios had in the '60s nobody uses it correctly, everything is smashed into 0dB with zero dynamic range, clipped ON PURPOSE, over dubbed, auto tuned, and then distributed in low res MP3s.
    Last edited by conanski; 07-13-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Anyone can buy a computer.

Nobody can download instant knowledge to use the computer.

Too many noobs out there thinking they can get THE SOUND, because they have T-Pain, Valhalla and Sausage Fattener VSTs.

As indicated, it goes to mp3

You certainly can't have instant microphone knowledge, or any other skills. Keyboard shortcuts are the easy way to spot a noob using the mouse all over the screen, and going 10 times slower.

Last edited by Manu; 07-14-2020 at 07:02 AM.