Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speakers for underground/street parties

Quote Originally Posted by Madcut View Post
    If I used a car battery like say: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...ource=googleps

Wouldn't that be enough for what I'm trying to do? 16,000 watt hours on a 1-2k watt PA system- 8-16 hours of play time? Maybe I'm wrong. I need to learn a lot about power and general electronics in the coming weeks.
    Oh wow... Your expectations are much too high. First, that link is not a battery, it's a capacitor.

To realistically run a 1,000 watt PA for 8 hours, you are going to need some BIG batteries. I have a 100 lb, 134ah C&D Battery in my truck. Tests have shown that those batteries can handle a 2000 wRMS tone for 20 minutes before reaching zero capacity. Off music, you're looking at an hour at most if you are cranking it.

This is something that can be done, but I wouldn't go over 200-400 wRMS if you expect any kind of extended playback. You'll still need to fill your cart with like 300 lbs of batteries, though
    Last edited by sss18734; 04-22-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Maybe I should rephrase my question: what exactly do I need to hook up powered speakers to a 16v car battery?
    Battery > DC to AC converter > Speakers

Keep in mind the converter will draw current as well, further robbing you of extended playback time. Any reason you want to go with a 16v battery over a standard 12v?
    Last edited by sss18734; 04-22-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    Battery > DC to AC converter > Speakers

Keep in mind the converter will draw current as well, further robbing you of extended playback time. Any reason you want to go with a 16v battery over a standard 12v?
    I was thinking that the higher amp hours and 16v would produce greater watt hours. But I think I've been confused about this all along.

Is a generator going to be a better idea than using car batteries? I could get smaller speakers to run longer on car batteries, but I want to make sure I get some loudness out of whatever I get and can at least play for over 5 hours.

I haven't purchased anything, so any recommendations are welcomed.

I feel like I need a PA system pushing out 2,000 watts, ideally. It seems like this could cover up to 100 people outdoors and 200 indoors? I'm using 20 watts per person outdoors. I know there is lots of variables, but it would be useful if I could figure out where I need to be watt-wise before I figure out what power to use.

I feel like I need a PA system pushing out 2,000 watts, ideally. It seems like this could cover up to 100 people outdoors and 200 indoors? I'm using 20 watts per person outdoors. I know there is lots of variables, but it would be useful if I could figure out where I need to be watt-wise before I figure out what power to use.
    You're overestimating how much energy batteries can hold. A 2,000 watt battery-powered PA is not realistic.

If you want anything over a few hundred watts, you're better off either:

A) Using your car as a mobile generator. With this idea, don't bother with anything more than ~1200 watts RMS unless you plan on electrical upgrades to your alternator and batteries. Your car would have to be running the entire time.
    B) Using a mobile gas-powered generator. Too bad they are so noisy!
    Last edited by sss18734; 04-22-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    You're overestimating how much energy batteries can hold. A 2,000 watt battery-powered PA is not realistic.

If you want anything over a few hundred watts, you're better off either:

A) Using your car as a mobile generator. With this idea, don't bother with anything more than ~1200 watts RMS unless you plan on electrical upgrades to your alternator and batteries. Your car would have to be running the entire time.
    B) Using a mobile gas-powered generator. Too bad they are so noisy!
    I spoke with my stepdad and he recommended a 3,500-5,000 watt gas-powered generator that would be able to power speakers and lights. But alas! Now I'm back to immobility. I guess I need to either decrease my expectations on what I can expect from a battery powered system, or go with bigger speakers and use a generator. The latter option is still possible for throwing underground events at locations like I posted above, but it would be more difficult hauling things in. My stepdad recommended 200ft of heavy gauge extension cords to reduce sound coming from the generator.

Hmmm, so many options!

Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

Seriously, you're limited to about 3 options of providing decent audio quality. 2 of the options would only be good for up to maybe 30-100 people depending on volume and ambient noise?
    http://dbtechnologies.com/index.php?...product%5D=347
    http://www.mipro.com.tw/link/2_2_ma808.htm

Your third option is to pick up as mentioned a Honda EU Generator, either the EU30is or the EU20i depending on your setup. Then get a pair of decent powered 12"s such as the RCF 312A's (better than the 315's due to the cabinet design and airflow) or a pair of 15"s such as the JBL PRX615M's.

I would personally go with option 3. It would give me more flexibility and appear more professional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rees
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

I agree, get a honda eu2000i. Then get just one decent powered speaker. Like a qsc k12, art312, or prx.

In your situation considering that you want to stay mobile on the fly just get one speaker to start. Also get or make some kind of padded cover for it because
    it will get pretty banged up in a shopping cart or just being on the move alot. Use a speaker stand where u can.

the k12's run at around 2.5 amps you might even be able to use one with a honda eu1000i which weighs only 29 lbs.