Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Help about turntables

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    8

    Question Help about turntables

    Hi turntablists,

    I'm a beginner who soon will be buy his gears. I have been checking all brands for several months.
    I would like to buy the best turntables. I don't have budget's limits nevertheless, i don't want to buy expensive ones and end up paying just a brand name.

    I want to learn scratching and mixing (about to buy a mixer too).
    I want to learn old school mixing technics (without computer) and latter, end up with DVS setup.

    I was thinking about buying some pioneer PLX 1000 ? Do you guys think it's a good idea ?
    Could those TECHNICS SL-1210 MK7 be an option ?

    What would be the best needle for scratching ?

    If you have better idea, i'm interested in knowing them.

    Warmest regards,

    L.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by lobbyman View Post
    I don't have budget's limits
    Technics.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    Technics.
    Really ?

    Why so many people aren't happy about the TECHNICS SL-1210 MK7 ?

    I don't feel comfortable with buying second hand turntables.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by lobbyman View Post
    Why so many people aren't happy about the TECHNICS SL-1210 MK7 ?
    Because people know s**t. The only thing of note is that it seems the feedback isolation is not as effective as with the previous models, which is noticeable only in extremely loud club environment, not at home. Solvable with Isonoe feet, if required. The rest is excellent and makes it the best new deck around. Nothing that would interfere your scratching/mixing.

    You should better learn scratching on dvs - less records you'll waste.

    Needles? Ortofon Scratch maybe. Mixer? Numark Scratch, maybe. Many choices.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    Because people know s**t. The only thing of note is that it seems the feedback isolation is not as effective as with the previous models, which is noticeable only in extremely loud club environment, not at home. Solvable with Isonoe feet, if required. The rest is excellent and makes it the best new deck around. Nothing that would interfere your scratching/mixing.
    The debate about technics is very difficult to understand. Too much feeling (with maybe an heavy touch of undercover marketing) in it...
    As i told, i'm looking for quality (which should normally last a significant time.

    On the Technics SL-1210 MK7, there is no ultra-pitch. That's a shame.

    Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    You should better learn scratching on dvs - less records you'll waste.
    My purpose is to first learn in old school day. No computer, just vinyls.
    I really want to understand all the basics in the old fashion way.

    Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    Needles? Ortofon Scratch maybe
    Ortofon seems to be the best option. Already on my list.

    Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    Mixer? Numark Scratch, maybe. Many choices.
    I have been watching so many mixers. The numark scratch could have been an option. Unfortunately, the effects are software effects.
    Mixing with vinyl (with no computer) as i pretend to do at the beginning makes this mixer a bit useless.

    I was thinking about the DJM S9 which seems a good option.
    Did pioneer is about to release a new version of the S9 ?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by lobbyman View Post
    The debate about technics is very difficult to understand.
    Until you personally use the Technics and the competition for some time, you won't understand it. The quality is on Technics' side, the marketing is on competition's side. You already fell for it - you're looking for ultrapitch and feel it's a disadvantage for Technics not to have it. Ultrapitch is the last thing you'll need.

    Quote Originally Posted by lobbyman View Post
    My purpose is to first learn in old school day. No computer, just vinyls.
    I really want to understand all the basics in the old fashion way.
    Use the dvs in a basic way and you have it. Load a song, scratch it. Later or in parallel you can go oldfashion and understand it even better.

    New djm s9? You never know with Pioneer.

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    Until you personally use the Technics and the competition for some time, you won't understand it.
    As a newbie, there is no way i can give you an answer on this point

    Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    The quality is on Technics' side, the marketing is on competition's side.
    In this case, i should find some sl 1200 mk2...
    I have found someone who is selling mk2 in really good states. Let's see if the seller is serious.

    Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    Use the dvs in a basic way and you have it. Load a song, scratch it. Later or in parallel you can go oldfashion and understand it even better.
    I will do this a bit later after having mastered the old fashion way.

    By the way, with the knowledge you have today, if you were starting today, which turntable and mixer would you choose ?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by lobbyman View Post
    By the way, with the knowledge you have today, if you were starting today, which turntable and mixer would you choose ?
    Used Technics mk2/5 if possible, if new is a must - mk7.
    Mixer depends of the budget. For cheap, maybe fitting a Innofader on some used solid mixer. Or DJ Tech Dif m2 or 2Smk2 that come with Innofader. If money is no object - s9 or seventy/two.
    Last edited by stomp; 07-08-2020 at 09:20 PM.

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    Used Technics mk2/5 if possible, if new is a must - mk7.
    I have found those mk2 : https://es.wallapop.com/item/technic...-mk2-508815823
    What do you think about the price ?
    Mk2 (used) vs Mk7 (new)... what would you do ?

    Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    Mixer depends of the budget. For cheap, maybe fitting a Innofader on some used solid mixer. Or DJ Tech Dif m2 or 2Smk2 that come with Innofader. If money is no object - s9 or seventy/two.
    About the mixer, definitely, the DJM-S9 seem to be my last option.

    What do you think about reloop elite mixer ?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    304
    Can't tell from remote. You need someone with knowledge to check them live. If all is good I'd go for them instead of mk7 and try to negotiate a bit on the price, though he says it's not negotiable. They look fine on the pics, but that's not all.

    Don't know about the Elite. Probably a solid alternative to Pio/Rane.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
a