Thread: Hitting a cue on beat

Hitting a cue on beat

So very beginner innocent.tm live performance question.

I'm using Serato and a DJ2GO mixer, and the cues feature is confusing me somewhat.

While its great for skipping to a place in a next track and mixing in. It feels like you should be able to play with it on the running track.

I.e. A crowd is loving X song but its about to end, and you want to skip way back into it, or do some hopping between different beat verses in the same track

Trouble is when I hit the cue buttons, the effect is instant. If I'm all of a few milliseconds off beat then the crowd is in for an awful hitchy, skippy, Car CD from the early 90s, hiccup.

If the cue buttons could be aligned to the beat so that when you hit one it jumps on the beat rather than on the instant it would be so much more powerful and easy.

I've been searching for ages for a way to do this with no luck. :/

So I'm left with;
    1. Have I just not seen the button to make it do this?
    2. Is Serato not capable of this but something else is?
    3. Is what I'm doing totally the wrong approach?
    4. Its the right approach but nothing makes it easy because git gud scrub?

Thanks in advance

Practice, practice,... and practice. Then it becomes a skill.

I'd say if you're using serato you may have some lag.

Seeing that it is a numark, does it come with soft buttons or hard? Soft buttons are harder to hit on cue.

It's got hard buttons but tbh I've got the reaction times of a concussed sloth so practice will only get me so far. Thanks for letting me know this is a thing though.

As a goal I'm only really trying to entertain friends, doing the odd party or function.

At the risk of sounding hideously shallow I'd happily switch kit/software if it meant I could get on with being creative, rather than fighting a talent wall :/ Is there any brand thats more scrub friendly?

I've been using some pioneer CDJS for years, can't really comment on newer controllers and things, except that I did not like using any of those due to the ever present lag, even if minimal.