Thread: Looking to mix records at home...is this a good start?

Looking to mix records at home...is this a good start?

Okay, so I used to enjoy mixing vinyl with friends of mine who were DJs back in the early 00's. I was always more into making music than mixing so I never got too into it and now it's been a really long time since I've touched a turntable. Lately I've been getting back into house music and I've really had the itch to do some amateur mixing at home but one thing I noticed is that things are quite a bit more complex now than they were 20 years ago, with the main issue being a lot of the tunes I want aren't even on vinyl (and a lot of the ones that are cost an arm and a leg)! So after doing a bit of research I've decided that the best thing to do may be to get a couple of decks and a mixer and start getting what I can on vinyl, but the big question is what kind of hardware/software to use for the tracks I can only get via digital files. As of right now I'm thinking of going with Serato and here's what I'm thinking of getting (bear in mind this is all just for fun so I'm trying not to break the bank):

--Pioneer PLX-500-K x2
    --Pioneer DJ DJM-S3 2 Channel Mixer for Serato DJ
    --pair of Serato control vinyl

I've already got plenty of speakers lying around and I have a nice desktop PC where I'll manage the software and files (though I may pick up a cheap laptop at some point). I figure I'll discover what cables and such I need once I have everything in hand. So, does this make sense? Am I completely insane or missing something entirely? Any advice on good starting equipment/software for someone who just wants to enjoy mixing at home would be greatly appreciated.

yup... seems all good from what you are saying.
    nothing like mixing vinyl, and having the digital option keeps you covered for the modern stuff.
    having cut your teeth earlier, you know how to mix and the options Serato gives you should keep you interested.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Thanks for the input. Well, all that's left is to bite the bullet and order the stuff. Definitely looking forward to just mixing vinyl more than anything else, but one thing about Serato that really intrigues me is to see if I can actually use the control vinyl to mix some of the songs I've made over the years. Should be fun.