Thread: Xone 92 - phono levels are quiet

Xone 92 - phono levels are quiet

I've been used to using my Pioneer DJM 750 for a while now and just bought a Xone 92 of which I am generally more than comfortable using. Regarding the DJM 750 I'm quite able to set up my gains and master levels just fine and know what I am doing. Even though on my DJM750 I noticed that the level coming into the mixer for A CDJ was always louder than my Technics playing vinyl, I could always easily level them out by adjusting the gains accordingly and feel like a had a nice amount of headroom left over. However, I'm noticing that to level out the vinyl playing on my technics against a track playing on my CDJ while using the Xone 92 I really have to crank up the gain on the channel playing the vinyl, I almost seem to run out of gain a hell of a lot more than I ever had to do when mixing in the same fashion on my DJM 750. It's a little bothersome and I wanted to hear from others who have experienced both mixers and their thoughts. Basically it seems that the preamps on a Xone 92 are much quieter than that of a Pioneer mixer.

thread moved to mixers

As long as you are gettting decent dynamic range and not redlining, that's all that matters.
    The level through the phono is also dependant on the cartridge, and the vinyl pressing. Unlike digital, which has better dynamic range.

DJ products are not particularly focused on sound quality, so I wouldn't worry unless you are maxed out and still not getting level.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Did you buy the mixer used? There's a jumper setting to decrease the gain by 10 db, maybe someone messed with it? Page 37 https://www.allen-heath.com/media/1623.pdf Is it the same on all channels?

The DJM is digital, and pioneer is notorious for having a limiter at the end. So it squashes dynamics more than than the analogue Xone.

Use the turntables on separate channels, turn their gain up, and turn the gain down on the CDJ channels.

Xones are also designed to be cranked up, that's how they sound warmer.

I finally got the Xone 92 for myself and found that if you run it at ZERO DB the levels are fine. You can always bring the level of a CDJ down to match the level of a record playing and it's totally fine. I found it a bit puzzling at first but it was just different to a Pioneer mixer, it's just learning the difference between hardware. I actually prefer my Xone 92 now to the Pioneer DJM 750, which I have still kept as a back up.