Thread: beatport naming/tagging system

beatport naming/tagging system

i find i have to fix the tags on all my beatport purchases after i download them
    they come out with a serial number in the name, artist field is blank and as standard it says "original mix" on every single track, which i delete
    its a pain in the neck to be honest, but its ok if you do it straight away when you buy the music because the information remains in your download list for a while.
    however i have some older music i never fixed, and now i actually dont know the artist names in many cases, i dont know if theres a way to go back and find out.

is there a remedy for all this? something im doing wrong in the beatport settings? or if this is just the way beatport is , is it not driving people crazy?

Did you send them a message?

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Did you send them a message?
    i have done just now, since you mentioned it
    but was wondering if this is the same experience others have
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 06-07-2020 at 10:17 AM.

yeah, turns out its because im downloading WAVS which have no tags, they recommend AIFFs because they have tags

i think they should just name the wavs properly IMO.. but anyways..

I agree they should name the ways right. Back in the days of original Napster we all settled on “Artist - Song (Remixer Remix)” at a bare minimum.
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips

The numbers drive me mad.
    There was a time when I first switched over to digital that I was downloading almost 1000 tracks a week. Bruh, nobody got time for all that renaming.

I remember someone creating a script that would edit the file names of the track removing the numbers leaving the track name. I'm assuming it would remove all characters and stop after the underscore. This was years ago, not sure if BP always had the same naming convention.

Anyways, i'm sure you can find someone to create a JavaScript file (of w.e. language) to do just that, should't be too difficult. I would take a crack at it but I don't want to be responsible for any issues caused by a missed bug in the script

If you are on a Mac and use iTunes, you may find something useful to help you with that at Doug's Apple scripts

Quote Originally Posted by drop1 View Post
    The numbers drive me mad.
    There was a time when I first switched over to digital that I was downloading almost 1000 tracks a week. Bruh, nobody got time for all that renaming.
    It's pretty cool. The numbers are no longer an issue with me. Bout 4 years ago I was using a ddjsx 2 and the numbers always showed so I had to edit them out or i couldnt search by song name. Now I'm using the xdj xz and i dont know if irs record box or beatport is formatting the names different but once I run the songs through record box they are named correctly and display correctly on my xdj using rekordbox and stand alone mode. Yay