Thread: Question about mixers.

Question about mixers.

Hello, I had a few questions about mixers.

The one mixer im looking at and refer to is this: Harbinger L1402FX-USB

1.) can you use the mic XLR from the mixer to go into an amplifier to power passive speakers? or if the speakers are powered, can I run it to the input of the powered speaker? 2.) what is the purpose for so many channels? my though process is, I can just go from my stereo output and daisy chain all my speakers/amps/subs together in one output. (I only see it to be useful if your speakers are spread out in varying locations) ***note*** I'm not saying there is no use, I am a novice and I guess I better way to say it is I personally don't know a use and was wondering is someone could give me an idea of what someone would use all these channels for !. 3.) if I want to include both powered and passive speakers in my setup, can I just attach my powered speakers first through my left/main out then after I have daisy chained all my powered speakers go to their output to the input of my amplifiers and run my passive speakers? If the answer is yes, this is why I don't understand why I would want to input some speakers into a mono channel and then adjust the pan to give it stereo output (referring to question 2 here). The only reason I guess I see is to have more control over the speakers (i.e eq and gain). Is this the only reason why? 4.) is there a reason why I would want XLR stereo outputs over TRS?? Thank you so much. I really enjoy learning about this stuff but it is so hard to find out information on this. thanks you for the responses in return!

No, those XLR's are inputs only, not outputs. The outputs on that mixer are a pair of TRS jacks.. which yes can connect either to powered speakers or to an amp if you are using passive speakers.

That's not really the mixer I'd choose for DJing.

What's your setup so far, and where will your sound system be used?

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    No, those XLR's are inputs only, not outputs. The outputs on that mixer are a pair of TRS jacks.. which yes can connect either to powered speakers or to an amp if you are using passive speakers.

What would you recommend? I have 2 ev elx112 (passive) and a 12” powered euro live sub. However, I just mad a connection with a sound/audio Company local to me and they told me I can use their line arrays/speakers/ subs. They have a bunch of different audio equipment and that’s why I want soemthing where I can hook up a bunch of speakers/subs with no problems. What would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post

What makes a mixer a “dj” mixer?

Quote Originally Posted by zvo View Post
    What makes a mixer a “dj” mixer?
    Stereo channels, dedicated effects, semi/full kill EQs, DJ software compatibility, crossfaders, crossfaders with short curves for scratching, assignable cues for headphones, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Stereo channels, dedicated effects, semi/full kill EQs, DJ software compatibility, crossfaders, crossfaders with short curves for scratching, assignable cues for headphones, etc etc
    Can you explain further? Like I have effects on my dj controller if I wanted to use them why do I need them on a mixer too? Same thing with crossfaders and assignable cues why do I need them on a mixer? And what is dj software comparability? Why would a mixer need to be compatible with my dj software??? Are you talking about like a mixer you would use with a CDJ? Isn’t that a completely different thing than what I’m looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by zvo View Post
    Can you explain further? Like I have effects on my dj controller if I wanted to use them why do I need them on a mixer too? Same thing with crossfaders and assignable cues why do I need them on a mixer? And what is dj software comparability? Why would a mixer need to be compatible with my dj software??? Are you talking about like a mixer you would use with a CDJ? Isn’t that a completely different thing than what I’m looking for?
    Your controller is your mixer.
    Your question should be how do you hook up your controller to a sound system.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

What exact controller do you have, what music do you play, where do you plan to play it, and for how many people?