Thread: Final Fantasy remix with guitar solos (Would i need to purchase the copyright)

Final Fantasy remix with guitar solos (Would i need to purchase the copyright)

Hi guys. I want to start a new project where i remix final fantasy (and other game and anime music) into synthwave and drum and bass remixes to be played live while I improvise electric guitar over the top of them. Would i need to purchase the copyright from the game company? I ask because i've just heard that if there is improvisation in a performance and it's not recorded that it counts as a non-fixed medium of expression and would be exempt from copyright laws. At least in the US. I live in the U.K so can anyone help me with what the laws would be there?
    Many thanks

You are allowed to play covers live, but not shifting any recordings of it. https://www.prsformusic.com/licences

PRS (UK)

There is no requirement for an artist to buy a licence to play covers.

The venue has to pay for a licence from the Performing Rights Society (PRS) from which royalties are distributed to the artists they deem are being covered.

If you want to record a covers CD and stay within copyright law then you should obtain a licence from The Performing Rights Society.

You fill in a form obtained from PRS listing the songs, the writers and the publishing company (all easily found on the original artiste media). You then state how many in total you will be "pressing" and the price you will be selling them for less a promotional amount of CD's. You are required to pay the invoice they send you upfront of any sales. Go to their website www.PRSformusic.com for more info.

If you are organising an event yourself at a 'non-licensed' premises then contact PRS for further advice
    Last edited by Manu; 05-27-2020 at 04:22 AM.