Thread: Help needed on Controller!

Help needed on Controller!

Hi all first post here!

I’m coming back into DJing after a 10 year gap. I no longer have my turntables or mixers and am looking at controllers.

I’m torn between the Pioneer DDJ400 and the more expensive Numark NS6II. Some people tell me to wait for the 400 to come back in stock because it’s pioneer and if I ever graduate from my bedroom that’ll be what I’ll play on. But I worry I might outgrow it quickly and be looking to upgrade. The NS6II appeals due to the 4 channels and excellent connectivity plus it seems a good mid range price (I can not justify the spend on a DDJ800 or 1000) and so is perhaps better bang for my buck.

As I’ve not used either Rekordbox or Serato I’m not overly worried about the difference in software as it seems they’re pretty much on a par.

Just wondering what anyone’s thoughts are?

Thanks!!

Sheriff Dan

you will probably outgrow anything you use, so i wouldnt worry about that.

If i were you i would just think of it in practical terms ie: " what do i need right now " in terms of connectivity and features etc.
    That said, If the DDJ400 has all of that, then i think thats where I would start since you are spending less, and you have what you need, also its more portable because its smaller and lighter. less hassle to bring around to a friends house or small bar gig etc.

a couple of main features that would distinguish the NS62 for me would be

long pitch faders if you want to beatmatch manually, then i wouldnt use the DDJ400 because it has too small pitch faders, but its debatable weather you would want to beatmatch manually at all with a controller anyway
    XLR outputs good for DJing in a bar, you often need this kind of cabling for a bar, but this weights up against the clunky heavy controller, you might not want to bring to a bar anyways
    can function as a standalone mixer, good if you want to hook in some CD players (but irrelevant if you dont have them) or another DJ friend can hook into your system, but this is not necessarily very desirable, there are other ways of handling those situations via an external mixer or whatever. i have learned over the years that there is a lot of value in keeping things simple for yourself

If you do decide to go back to TTs and a mixer or CDJs then the DDJ 400 can always sit by as a backup device.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 05-24-2020 at 01:11 PM.