Thread: Sad QFO motor

Sad QFO motor

Hey all,

first post here. I have an old Vestax QFO and yesterday the motor started showing signs of dying...it's like its losing torque, picks up speed really slowly after I touch and let go of the platter.

Vestax is dead and gone so I don't know where to turn, anybody know if anything can be done?

Cheers

it uses a PDX 2000 motor so you could find another model that uses the same one and buy that for parts. Buying a QFO for parts would be seriously expensive. There are a few outlets that still do some parts that may work. Maybe some shop in Japan has something? But in reality you'll probably end up stripping down the turntable yourself to find the part that is malfunctioning.

I would also suggest getting in touch with Qbert directly if you can find a way. Maybe he could hook you up, he's a cool guy.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    it uses a PDX 2000 motor so you could find another model that uses the same one and buy that for parts. Buying a QFO for parts would be seriously expensive. There are a few outlets that still do some parts that may work. Maybe some shop in Japan has something? But in reality you'll probably end up stripping down the turntable yourself to find the part that is malfunctioning.

I would also suggest getting in touch with Qbert directly if you can find a way. Maybe he could hook you up, he's a cool guy.
    Thanks Pete,

When it comes to stripping it down (which sounds pretty scary), are you saying I may not need to replace the whole motor? Could there potentially be a faulty part within that could be switched out or fixed?

Reaching out to Qbert...never thought of that but I might as well try. Maybe through Thud Rumble or something. So did you ever meet Q?

I have not idea from behind my keyboard what could be wrong with your deck, and no, I have never stripped a deck in my life.
    But if you motor is kaput then you have little to lose. It could be the motor, it could be some other electronics that are wrong.
    Opening it up and cleaning aint gonna hurt. You might even notice a loose connection or something.

[fanboyism]And yeah I met Qbert and Yogafrog at a gig in London once, they signed my slipmats.[/fanboyism]
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Only seen Qbert once, at a Skratch Piklz gig, I would so have asked Qbert to sign my Butter rugs if I'd had the chance!

But yeah, no harm in cleaning the unit I guess. It's a bit random too...it's actually ok today w strong torque and no weird ground hum. It'll definitely come back tho so I might as well open it up.

Thanks man