Thread: External recording device to record DJ mixes - Zoom H4N

Question External recording device to record DJ mixes - Zoom H4N

Hi,

Looking to purchase an external recording device to record my DJ mixes. Will also be using it to convert some old vinyl to digital as well.

Currently I'm looking at the Zoom H4N, but I'm a little confused as there are so many options out there. A few people online have said that some of these recording units are mainly designed for videographer/interview usage and not DJ. It was also mentioned that in some cases attenuators may have to be used as the sound from DJ mixers is a lot more powerful. Won't these recording devices have the ability to lower their recording volume?

If anyone has any recommendations it would be super helpful.

You may not need an attenuator, if the external recorder has a line input, which most do. You probably have to switch it from mic input to line input by hitting a switch. I record with a DSLR camera to capture the audio and the video at the same time, and I have to use an attenuator, because most cameras don't have a line input, they just have mic input. The only camera I own that has a line input is a Gopro. Not all line inputs are created equal on digital recorders, some of them are still too loud. So I just always use my attenuator. You may have to try whatever digital recorder you use. If it sounds like crap, just use an attenuator. As far as digital recorders, they all pretty much sound the same as far as recording using the line input. The main difference between a cheap recorder and an expensive recorder are the mic preamps, and the number of buttons. The more expensive recorders have better mic preamps to record less hiss, but since you are not using the mic preamps, you don't need an expensive recorder. But the extra buttons come in handy when recording vinyl. For recording vinyl, the best recorder I have used is the Marantz PMD671. Today you can find them pretty cheap, but that was a $1000 recorder when it was new, and it has loads of buttons to make recording easier, and it has really good mic preamps. But it will record vinyl, just as good as a new cheaper recorder. Some of the better digital recorder start recording 2 seconds BEFORE you hit the record button which comes in handy because some recorders don't start recording until they hear something, which means, they won't record the first beat of a vinyl record. That is why I bought that Marantz. All those problems may be fixed on newer recorders, but I haven't bought a new digital recorder in a long time, I just mainly use my camera. I'm sure that H4N works just fine.

QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

Check out this thread.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by drzinc View Post
    woah, 150€ for a cheapo-style recorder.

I could literally buy a cheap second hand laptop for that money. It would record and...well....do laptop stuff as well. Although it would be more bulky.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix