Thread: Denon MCX8000 in 2020

Denon MCX8000 in 2020

Hi, I'm new to the forum but would like some advice on this controller. I'm after a Serato controller with 4 channels so that I can also connnect turntables and this looks like a good buy based on the current price (approx £800). The Prime 4 is nearly twice the price and controllers like the Pioneer SX3, 1000 SRT and others with 4 channels all seem to be more than £1000. However, the MCX8000 is several years old and I note it had some problems reported e.g. screen freezing. I like the fact that it can work in standalone mode as well but this is not a priority for me. So, basic question (based on these requirements) is whether it is a good buy in 2020 and are there good alternatives to consider at this sort of price point. Prior to looking at the MCX8000 I was looking to stretch my budget to a Pioneer SX3 but wondering whether this is necessary. Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to DJF.

I have owned the MCX8000 for 2 years now and have never had issues with screens freezing.

The only issue I can report with the unit is when using in standalone mode (2 channels only) with USB media - the hot cues that I have selected do not trigger in time with performance pad (may be an issue with quality of USB flash drive). Anyway, I predominantly use it with my laptop now with Serato and everything works as it should.

I have never owned any other controllers so I can't speak about them but if you're considering the MCX8000 for standalone / digital or analogue - I have no qualms recommending it.
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

Thanks for the info. I will almost certainly use it with Serato most of the time so good to hear it works as it should. I have seen some posts about latency and suggestions that's more likely to be down to the laptop people are using. What spec laptop have you used with this? I have never had issues with my laptop and other controllers but it's also not the newest and I am not factoring buying a new laptop into this - so, would be good to know whether it's likely to have issues.

Any other comments on the controller generally? I am also hoping to use it for DVS.

I think the current price makes it look like a good deal given the features but I am guessing that it won't be supported for much longer given the Prime releases. However, that's not a major issue if it is a solid Serato controller already.

Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens