Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! Question about my DJ Controller/ Speaker set up

Help!!! Question about my DJ Controller/ Speaker set up

Hello,

I have a few questions about my set up. I have a ddj-400 controller that only has RCA output. I have an RCA to a 1/4" cable that I run the RCA from the dj controller to my powered mixer (phonic powered 750r) where I plug the 1/4" part into the input into one of my mixer channels. However, for the RCA cables attached to my dj controller, I can one plug in one (that is, I can only plug in the right cable or the left cable) if I plug in both to my controller, the sound from my speakers is distorted. The low frequencies are completely taken out and the mid frequencies are majorly distorted. I don't know why this is. I have attached a dropbox link where I uploaded 4 pictures: one of them shows how I only connect one of my RCA cables to my dj controller, one is the 1/4" cable in my powered mixer, one is just all my settings on my mixer, and one is of my output cables to my passive speakers. The speakers that I have are ELX 12 from Electro-Voice. Another question I have aside from this is: if I wanted to have powered speakers in addition to my passive speakers playing, can I just attack them through the "Output main' 1/4" jack on my powered mixer and then daisy chain them? In one of the pictures I provided I currently have a powered subwoofer plugged into it. to my understanding the output main does not send power signals through it so it will not damage my powered equipment. Just to clarify, my two questions are: 1.) why is it when I plug in both my RCA cables the music quality is distorted and 2.) if I were to run powered speakers with this set up can I just hook them up through the "output main" 1/4" jack on my powered mixer. Thank you in advanced for answering the questions!

Here is the link to the images of my set up!
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w5w4c73ds...y8xiqji8a?dl=0

moved to beginners

This is a case of http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...l=1#post519819

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...pod-750rw.html

The Powerpod 750RW features a total of 7 input channels, 3 of which accept stereo signals
    Use the stereo channels, not 2 x piled up mono

run powered speakers with this set up can I just hook them up through the "output main" 1/4" jack on my powered mixer
    Yes. Please read the manual for additional details.
    Last edited by Manu; 05-12-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Yes on the powered speakers, but if the powered sub has outputs you could also connect powered speakers there.
    Looks like the only stereo input on this mixer is the Tape input, so if you want stereo sound from your controller connect it there.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

You're using the wrong kind of cable. Your cable goes from two RCA plugs to a TRS plug for stereo. The input on your mixer is a mono input using a trs jack for a balanced connection, which cannot be used to combine a stereo input to mono. You would either need to get a regular RCA to RCA cable and connect it to the RCA tape input or get an RCA to dual TR plugs and connect to one of channel 5-7.

That powered mixer seems a little odd. Inputs 5-7 have stereo inputs but say the inputs are summed (to mono). It has a stereo effects processor but the outputs are not left or right, rather 1 and 2. This leads me to believe it's just summed to mono altogether, so I don't even think the tape input is in stereo but I could be wrong.

Daniel is right, you are using the wrong cable.
    You need one like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...cpr202-2-meter

And it's really hard to say if you can get stereo out of that mixer from the tape input.. maybe, but the manual (which I looked at) is very unclear.
    The only way I would say FOR SURE you can get stereo output would be to use the cable I linked above, and put one plug into input 6, the other into input 7. Then, bring up just the "mon" knob on 6.. with the "level" all the way down, just the "level" knob on 7, with "mon" all the way down. Then with the mixer in main/mon mode, you'll get stereo.

I have used one of those things a while ago, you can get some stereo through the tape input.

But then it's pointless trying to run 2 x mono on 2 separate channels, simply because there isn't a balance knob to get the stereo back.

That sort of gear is designed for bands who need a quick easy solution for a small portable PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I have used one of those things a while ago, you can get some stereo through the tape input.

But then it's pointless trying to run 2 x mono on 2 separate channels, simply because there isn't a balance knob to get the stereo back.

That sort of gear is designed for bands who need a quick easy solution for a small portable PA.
    Def, I agree.. this is the wrong tool for the job.

But if you do what I said above.. get the cable I linked.. then putting the controller left channel into the top input on let's say input #6, and the controller right input into the top input on channel #7, and then (as I said above) turn up ONLY "mon" on #7, and ONLY "level" on #6.. with the mode switch (lower right) set to mon/main mode.. then you will get stereo for sure. And be able to control the balance by adjusting the settings on those those two knobs I just said.. relative to each other.

It will work much better than it does now. And the sub will still get its signal from the one channel as it is right now.

BUT

..all that said.
    ZVO, since you already have a powered sub, and you plan to get another set of powered speakers.. the best thing you can do is to SELL this mixer, and get yourself a smaller, non-amplified mixer that's made for stereo operation. There are tons of inexpensive ones, we can make some suggestions.

Then, so far as your passive speakers that you are using now.. either sell them too.. or get yourself a small rack mount stereo amplifier to run them.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Def, I agree.. this is the wrong tool for the job.

But if you do what I said above.. get the cable I linked.. then putting the controller left channel into the top input on let's say input #6, and the controller right input into the top input on channel #7, and then (as I said above) turn up ONLY "mon" on #7, and ONLY "level" on #6.. with the mode switch (lower right) set to mon/main mode.. then you will get stereo for sure. And be able to control the balance by adjusting the settings on those those two knobs I just said.. relative to each other.

It will work much better than it does now. And the sub will still get its signal from the one channel as it is right now.

BUT

..all that said.
    ZVO, since you already have a powered sub, and you plan to get another set of powered speakers.. the best thing you can do is to SELL this mixer, and get yourself a smaller, non-amplified mixer that's made for stereo operation. There are tons of inexpensive ones, we can make some suggestions.

Then, so far as your passive speakers that you are using now.. either sell them too.. or get yourself a small rack mount stereo amplifier to run them.
    First, Thank you to everyone commenting. It is really helping a lot.I just want to clarify though, I wanted to keep my passive elx 12 because I really like them. My question about adding active speakers was incase I wanted to add a pair of speakers in the future. So therefore, I guess my question now becomes, what's the best option for me in order to keep my passive speakers? should I buy a normal amplifier and a non-amplified mixer? or should I get a newer powered mixer like this one:https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rpm10...RoCa9QQAvD_BwE

Another question is: what is the point of a RCA to TRS able then? are there cases where both the RCA cables attach to a mono output? Again thank you everyone for the amazing advice!

If you keep the ELXs the best option to power them is a standard 2-ch rack mount power amplifier, but you still won't have stereo sound with that mixer.
    I understand why you might like those EV speakers, I own a bunch of different models myself and they sound great but mine are all self powered. There are very good reasons why this type of speaker is so popular now, they're so easy to use... it's even possible to connect a DJ controller directly to these in some cases. And these boxes don't just include a power amp, they also include custom DSP that delivers better performance and protection than is possible with outboard equipment. I also don't understand why those powered box mixers are even available anymore, the one you have is a perfect example of how limited they are so I definitely do not think you should buy another. If you buy another mixer make it small console style like the Mackie Pro FX8, this has all the tools you might need for connecting microphones and stereo sources and also has balanced XLR outputs for driving power amplifiers and powered speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by zvo View Post
    Another question is: what is the point of a RCA to TRS cable then? are there cases where both the RCA cables attach to a mono output?
    There are places where that cable could be used(to insert a device into an effects loop) but connecting a stereo source to a mixer isn't one of them.
    Last edited by conanski; 05-16-2020 at 10:37 AM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com