Thread: Some advice on upgrading and other questions.

Some advice on upgrading and other questions.

Hi everyone.
    Hope you are all coping as best you can in the current circumstances.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. It’s my first post.

So I’m looking to upgrade my current gear and get back into buying new music.
    My current set up is 2 pioneer cdj 800 mk2’s and a pioneer djm 600 mixer which I run through my stereo. and also have 2 turntables set up to mix certain vinyl that isn’t available digitally plus I prefer using vinyl to scratch on.

So I need a 4 channel mixer and Want to stick with pioneer, I’m not fussed with having the cd slot anymore and would prefer to put my tracks onto usb.
    So I’m thinking of getting the xdj 1000 mk2 and a djm 750 mk2 mixer.
    I don’t want to pay for the expensive nexus mixer and cdj 2000 nexus decks. As I can’t really justify that expense when I’m mixing at home.
    Does anyone have the 750 mk2 mixer and xdj 1000 mk2 ?
    If so any feedback would be grateful.
    Also I am going to use the sound card on the back of the mixer and get some monitors and plug them straight into the back of the mixer rather than using my stereo, would the sound quality be decent doing it this way?
    And finally is Rekordbox box easy to use and set up, bearing in mind I will have 20 plus years of music I’ve bought to put onto the Rekordbox system, is Rekordbox free or do you have to pay for it?
    Thanks amigos.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Hi everyone.
    Hope you are all coping as best you can in the current circumstances.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. It’s my first post.

So I’m looking to upgrade my current gear and get back into buying new music.
    My current set up is 2 pioneer cdj 800 mk2’s and a pioneer djm 600 mixer which I run through my stereo. and also have 2 turntables set up to mix certain vinyl that isn’t available digitally plus I prefer using vinyl to scratch on.

So I need a 4 channel mixer and Want to stick with pioneer, I’m not fussed with having the cd slot anymore and would prefer to put my tracks onto usb.
    So I’m thinking of getting the xdj 1000 mk2 and a djm 750 mk2 mixer.
    I don’t want to pay for the expensive nexus mixer and cdj 2000 nexus decks. As I can’t really justify that expense when I’m mixing at home.
    Does anyone have the 750 mk2 mixer and xdj 1000 mk2 ?
    If so any feedback would be grateful.
    Also I am going to use the sound card on the back of the mixer and get some monitors and plug them straight into the back of the mixer rather than using my stereo, would the sound quality be decent doing it this way?
    And finally is Rekordbox box easy to use and set up, bearing in mind I will have 20 plus years of music I’ve bought to put onto the Rekordbox system, is Rekordbox free or do you have to pay for it?
    Thanks amigos.
    Hey Gazza,

Ok.. so.. I have the xdj1000mk2's with a 900nxs mixer, my friend has the setup you want with the xdj1000mk2's with the 750mk2.
    There are two different ways you can do it.

1) You can do what I do, which is to bring your music into rekordbox on your computer/laptop. You organize it there, tag it, make playlists (eg crates/folders.. same concept). It figures out the bpm and the key... Then you "export" the music from there onto flash drives.. plug those into the decks (you only need one drive plugged in at a time because they network together).

You then play directly off the decks and mixer using the screens on the decks. The laptop is not involved at all when you are playing.

In that scenario, rekordbox is totally free.

2) You can do what my friend is doing, which is, you can use a paid version of RB, and your laptop plugs into the mixer.. you don't need to use flash drives at all, your decks and mixer are working with the software on the laptop, more like a controller setup.. but really well integrated.

In that scenario, you do need a paid rekordbox but I think that with the newest 750 it MAY come with a license included. Don't quote me on that.
    But the cost of rekordbox if you do need to pay is pretty minor compared to the cost of the decks and all.

And.. with the scenario #2, you can also export your tracks to flash drives and take those (already organized, bpm'd, keyed etc) tracks on the flash drive and play them direct on the decks not needing the laptop. So let's say you were playing in a club and they had the decks already, you can plug those drives in at the club, you do not need to bring your laptop.. unless you want to. Obviously the experience of playing with your laptop there with a full keyboard and all is going to be different than not.. especially if you are doing a lot of searching for tracks by name. But you'd be surprised how easy it is to play with just the decks, I really prefer it. My friend prefers doing it his way.

Anyway, my point is, with the newer 750 mixer he has actually more software capability than I have with my older 900nxs.. so def if you want the pioneer system, the 750 is a good deal because it gives you that option of playing with the laptop.. but you can also go the flash drive method and play without the laptop. Actually the XDJ's.. when you are using them with flash drives, totally don't care at all what mixer you are using, they'll do their thing with even your old 600 mixer.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 05-11-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Hey Gazza,

Ok.. so.. I have the xdj1000mk2's with a 900nxs mixer, my friend has the setup you want with the xdj1000mk2's with the 750mk2.
    There are two different ways you can do it.

1) You can do what I do, which is to bring your music into rekordbox on your computer/laptop. You organize it there, tag it, make playlists (eg crates/folders.. same concept). It figures out the bpm and the key... Then you "export" the music from there onto flash drives.. plug those into the decks (you only need one drive plugged in at a time because they network together).

You then play directly off the decks and mixer using the screens on the decks. The laptop is not involved at all when you are playing.

In that scenario, rekordbox is totally free.

2) You can do what my friend is doing, which is, you can use a paid version of RB, and your laptop plugs into the mixer.. you don't need to use flash drives at all, your decks and mixer are working with the software on the laptop, more like a controller setup.. but really well integrated.

In that scenario, you do need a paid rekordbox but I think that with the newest 750 it MAY come with a license included. Don't quote me on that.
    But the cost of rekordbox if you do need to pay is pretty minor compared to the cost of the decks and all.

And.. with the scenario #2, you can also export your tracks to flash drives and take those (already organized, bpm'd, keyed etc) tracks on the flash drive and play them direct on the decks not needing the laptop. So let's say you were playing in a club and they had the decks already, you can plug those drives in at the club, you do not need to bring your laptop.. unless you want to. Obviously the experience of playing with your laptop there with a full keyboard and all is going to be different than not.. especially if you are doing a lot of searching for tracks by name. But you'd be surprised how easy it is to play with just the decks, I really prefer it. My friend prefers doing it his way.

Anyway, my point is, with the newer 750 mixer he has actually more software capability than I have with my older 900nxs.. so def if you want the pioneer system, the 750 is a good deal because it gives you that option of playing with the laptop.. but you can also go the flash drive method and play without the laptop. Actually the XDJ's.. when you are using them with flash drives, totally don't care at all what mixer you are using, they'll do their thing with even your old 600 mixer.

Hey mate,

Thank you so much for a really good reply, I do like the sound of using it the way you do and just using the flash drive, does the link cable to link the 2 Xdjs and play off 1 usb stick come in the box or do you have to buy that separately?
    I’ve had my current djm 600 around 16 years I think. So would like to get a new one plus I have it in silver as my 800 cdjs were silver and will look smart having an all black matching set, been looking at reviews on YouTube on this mixer and I like the feature where you can download the pioneer record app onto your phone and plug the i phone cable into the mixer and record your mix directly to your phone using that app. Sounds easier than using audacity like I did years ago.

I don't remember anymore if the link cable came with them, but it's an ordinary ethernet cable you can get anywhere for a few dollars, you just plug one end in each deck and you're set. If you have a third deck you need an ethernet switch/hub to connect them.. not a Pioneer one.. just any small one will do.

If you do the setup with the decks and the laptop together.. I think that works by using USB cables from the decks and mixer to the laptop. It is also possible on some models to record straight to Audacity (or whatever) via USB. I know my 2000nxs can, but I haven't tried it because I have a handheld recorder that I use.. I started doing it that way years ago and still prefer that because I want to record wherever I go on whatever mixer and not rely on having my own mixer there. But at home I really should use that feature.

And def it is time for an upgrade from that djm-600, you will be very pleased with how much better the new ones sound, also the filters and full-kill eq mode is really nice. I will say tho, I used to have the 800mk2's as well and I freaking loved them, best CDJ's ever. Except.. I will always have a place in my heart for my 100S's <3

But