Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Speaker suggestions

Joe, what amplifier do you have? If it doesn't have any DSP then it's not really an asset worth keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    They go loud and have big enough woofers to not require a subwoofer.
    Perhaps for classic rock and other genres from the '80s and beyond, for any modern music genre not so much. If you try to force heavy bass from them you will have the same problem you have now.. blown woofers.

Powered speakers are where it's at these days, these deliver far better sound and performance than passive simply because all the necessary processing and protection is built-in. For maximum portability a system comprised of a single 12" powered sub with a pair of 8+1 tops would easily outclass the passive speakers mentioned above.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Perhaps for classic rock and other genres from the '80s and beyond, for any modern music genre not so much. If you try to force heavy bass from them you will have the same problem you have now.. blown woofers.
    That's the best passive option I can come up with without using a subwoofer. Unless you went JTR or EAW but I've never heard those without subs so they would go loud but might not sound very good.

I agree with you.

I think his best option is to use his Polk Audio towers in his man cave and rent a system when he does a house party.
    Or buy a 2.1 or 2.2 active PA system to keep in storage in his basement or his garage.

Two 8" or 10" tops with one or two single 15" subs.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Funny you mention EAW.. I was thinking to suggest the EAW FR153z which is what I used as my main DJ speakers for many years.. with subs but they do sound pretty good on their own. I think they're among the most hifi sounding passive 15's you are going to find in this price range and they are terrific for a mancave type setup because they sound good right up close within a couple of feet out to around 75 feet. I think they are discontinued now but there are plenty used in the $650-1100/pair range.

I own some EV ZLX12p's which are the powered version as well as some Yamaha DXR15's which are also powered. These sound really good for PA speakers but my HT system which contain little 6" 2-way speakers and a single 12" powered sub sound a lot better.. particularly on the lowend of the spectrum. Yes.. the little 125w 12" HT sub produces more low bass than a pair of 15" PA speakers with 1500w behind them!!

There are a ton of those little stick PA systems on the market now, many of them claim incorrectly to be line arrays but ignoring that for a moment... even the smallest of these which might only have a handful of 2' drivers and an 8" bass/sub module sound quite good. This is yet another example that just reinforces the fact that any speaker system with a dedicated sub will sound better than an all-in-one speaker, the key being that you still need to buy a system that will produce the SPL you require. The smallest of these little stick systems are really only good enough for the smallest of PA applications but something like a Turbosound Ip2000 can replace any of the 12" - 15" PA boxes mentioned in this thread, so maybe this is another option for the OP to consider.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

There are quite a few powered speakers that seem like a nice option and if I was still lugging equipment around that would be the route I would go, But I already have the amps and the wires run. I I am just doing this as a hobby , So spending thousands on a speaker system just doesn't make sense to me at the moment.

So you guys have me thinking, I am very happy with my current quiality of the sound , THe set up I have is decent for in its current room, Maybe Ill leave the speakers and add a Sub, Are there any that you recommend?

SVS SB16-Ultra
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

When things open back up Ill like to hear a few of the choices, the SVS sub has really good reviews.