Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Speaker suggestions

Looking for Speaker suggestions

Hi, I am looking for some Passive speakers, The ones I have now are quite old and the woofers are starting to go. I am looking for a decent Speaker set up for a home set up, I am not looking for anything to take to an huge event. I home set up amp is currently a 1000W. I have had JBL and Yamaha set ups. I am not looking for anything that is going to break the bank, this is simply a Home set up. I was thinking a 12 to 15 Inch woofer, 2 or 3 way. Can I get some ideas. Thanks

What speakers do you have now and what is your budget?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
    Hi, I am looking for some Passive speakers, The ones I have now are quite old and the woofers are starting to go.
    If they are halfway decent speakers your best (cost-efficient) opinion is to repair what you already have.
    Reconing a woofer is fairly easy.

Easiest Way to Recone a Speaker
    5:40

Or you can replace the raw woofer if it's not a cone related problem.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 04-28-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Right now I have , a Set of Bose bookshelf, Polk Audio tower and a No name brand of 2 way 15 Inch Speakers, I sold off all my others years ago. If I was going to use a the 15 Inch speaker set up cabinets any woofers, you recommend?

Right now I have , a Set of Bose bookshelf, Polk Audio tower and a No name brand of 2 way 15 Inch Speakers, I sold off all my others years ago. If I was going to use a the 15 Inch speaker set up cabinets any woofers, you recommend?
    Sounds like the Polk Audio speakers will probably sound the best from those three.

Have a picture of the generic speaker? Are the woofer frozen (no sound) or are they distorting?
    If they are distorting you just need to recone them. If they need new woofers it will probably cost more for good the raw woofers than what the speakers are worth.

Are you planning on using them as PA speakers? As in doing house parties and mobile DJing.
    If so you need a PA speaker.
    A used powered Yamaha or QSC would get you started.
    You could buy a second matching speaker later when you can afford it.

Not really sure how to do used equipment with COVID-19 since Guitar Center and Sam Ash are probably closed.
    I guess maybe gamble losing your money on eBay or Craig's List?

Honestly I believe my day's of doing Gigs are over, I Did the Club/Party/Event stuff years ago I am just getting back into it as a hobby, I am so behind in learning all of this new ways, I was old school vinyl DJ.

I have a fairly large and nice Man cave, and I have all of the speaker wires in ran in the walls so i am looking to use Passive so I don't have to run more wires. I would Like a Nice PA Speaker pair to get the Look of a nice Set up and also get the sound, At times I may take the set up to a house Party Event but not often.

Money isn't so much the issue I am just trying to be responsible as I have many hobbies.

I have a fairly large and nice Man cave, and I have all of the speaker wires in ran in the walls so i am looking to use Passive so I don't have to run more wires. I would Like a Nice PA Speaker pair to get the Look of a nice Set up and also get the sound, At times I may take the set up to a house Party Event but not often.
    A pair of Yamaha S115V Speakers for $779.98
    (Or the S115V Club Series V Speakers for the same price. I don't know what the difference is)
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...peaker-Pair.gc
    They have that old school look and don't need a subwoofer for house parties.

Or a Pair of Electro-Voice ZLX-12 12" Speakers for $658
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro...Loudspeaker.gc
    They sound better in my opinion and they have a more modern look.

My Bose and Polks offer pretty good sound, I am looking for a PA style speaker ( Would like to go 12-15 to avoid a Sub ) When I want to really turn it up, I do have outside gatherings in the summer months, I live in the country now and have no neighbors for quite a ways so I can go as loud as needed.

Both of those (S115V & ZLX-12) are popular mobile DJ speakers.
    They go loud and have big enough woofers to not require a subwoofer.
    15" for the Yamaha and 12" for the EV.

There are louder options like JTR or EAW but that would most likely be overkill.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 04-29-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Interior Outlines View Post
    Mackie or RCF used to be the ones but not sure if they still hold up today, I think Mackie moved production to China. The srm450 was a mainstay of house party rental systems. The RCF art series were also popular.
    Most people use active PA speakers nowadays. QSC is probably the most popular.