Thread: Recommendation for a good RCA splitter

Recommendation for a good RCA splitter

Hello,

I would like a passive high end, greatly made, not half done soldered cheep stuff, splitter for RCA. It will take 1 input, and will have 2 outputs.

That's all. It could be as simple as a cable I don't mind. As long as there is no or minimum loss in sound quality. Something like that (see arrows):

Any brand recommendation? I find it very hard to find or very cheaply made stuff.

You're looking for a switch with volume control 1 in 2 out, not a splitter. I can't recommend what I have because it's no longer on sale and slightly overkill because rack sized and remote controlled passthrough/ no volume etc.

However that one was easy enough to find.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobsound-Sw...tronics&sr=1-2

That's one quick search, now looking at the comments it seems pretty hit and miss. If you're looking for a specific brand that does not build cheap on a Chinese model, then I'm like

The reason is, I am 100% looking at that volume knob, because that's a bit unnecessary unless you do need manual volume control. A bit of an aberration going on hifi wise. Because you do have to crank it all up to reach the 180 mW line level, and that's what is making that knob redundant. Or you could stretch the budget a little bit like you mentioned, and get some actual hifi sound controller. It's like an amp, without the amp section.

Also, the mute section, eurgh.

Are you looking specifically for that design, because there is most likely some stuff out there that is rack sized. Otherwise there are some other boxes used by hifi shops, I've seen a few.

Looking at that box I was thinking plan B. You buy a cheap one, and you replace all the cheap components inside. And bypass that mute stuff... It looks easy enough to do a hack job.

Also, question, what amplifiers do you have, and do they have a passive output line. Usually designated as a tape line out. If so, you just piggy back one amp on the other one. I would not recommend because you run an extra line and you will lose some signal. When you're running passive 180mW line level, shorter is best. That said, it's just as cheap as one cable.

So there you go, choice of more options than one. If I saw a box like that, I'd just hack into it straight out of the other box, my 0,02
    Last edited by Manu; 04-21-2020 at 02:04 PM.

man Manu thanks for answer. what's the difference between switcher and splitter? Both outputs can go through at the same time. Think of the most basic of basic thing... but somehow hard to find.

Like this:

but replace the male by female and I'm happy... if the cables are of high quality, golded plated etc...

I saw the one you posted. It's cheap stuff, not what I'm after. And no need of volume control.

didn't hear the term "hifi sound controller", google it and I can't see how that would be what I need.

another example of what I want could be this:

I am not looking for a specific design, I don't mind at all. Just a recommendation of a good build, simple splitter 1 input 2 outputs.

The output of amp is a good idea, didn't think about it but not practical for the use I want of it.

Thanks for your message, and if you have a recommendation for the hifi sound controller that would do what I'm looking for just paste it out =)
    Last edited by flavio_dev; 04-21-2020 at 02:23 PM.

So I found something like this:

this actually might be what I need! 1 input (RCA female) -> 2 output (RCA Males).

Anyone have experience of this kind of cable and quality? Or brand to recommend?
    Last edited by flavio_dev; 04-21-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Yeah, that would work.

I would avoid running that while both cables are attached though. physically splitting the signal while running is something to avoid.

Could you give the model numbers of the devices you are using? That way we could better research and use our experience to give you a decent solution.

Splitting signal via RCA is not something you will find easily and very rarely in high end. Sending a good signal to amps requires a good signal, not a signal connected to multiple devices with different electrical properites.

However, a modest hifi preamp may fit your needs.

https://www.jordanacoustics.co.uk/pr...plifiers/c2500
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Hey so here is a schema of what I am trying to achieve:

this is in relation with this other post of mine btw =) http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...-sound-quality

What I want to achieve is to make a as clean as possible connection between my TT and my mixer. I'm scared passing through the SL3 diminish sound quality so I don't want to go through it. But I also don't want to have to disconnect my TT from the back of my mixer phono onto my Rane SL3 everytime I decide to use Serato.

So output phono of TT, goes into "What I Need?", then from "What I Need":
    - output 1 into the Rane SL3, then from Rane SL3 into my line in input in my dj mixer.
    - output 2 directly into my dj mixer phono input.

So all I need to something that turns 1 RCA cable into 2 RCA cable output.

Thanks for your answer and help guys, very appreciated, and please be my guest to comment on my amazing drawing abilities =D
    Last edited by flavio_dev; 04-22-2020 at 10:29 AM.

What are the turntable and mixer model numbers?

In most cases the turntable will require an RIAA preamp and both the Rane SL3 and the mixer should have them. The SL3 is a 24bit audio interface with "studio grade" phono preamp according to the website so your worry about degrading sound with it is misplaced IMO, just connect the TT through the interface and call it good.
    Last edited by conanski; 04-22-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thanks @conanski for your answer. My mixer is a Mastersound Radius 2 and has an excellent preamp. The Rane SL3 preamp is good but the SL3 does a Analog -> Digital -> Analog conversion even when on thru. Which I am wondering if that degrades the sound output overall.

Quote Originally Posted by flavio_dev View Post
    The Rane SL3 preamp is good but the SL3 does a Analog -> Digital -> Analog conversion even when on thru. Which I am wondering if that degrades the sound output overall.
    No. You are not alone in your aversion to digital processing but I assure you it is unwarranted, technically perfect digital conversions were achieved decades ago and since then all the industry has achieved are a multitude of different ways of dressing up that result to appease those that just can't believe that a $0.99 DSP chip is all that it takes.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com