Thread: Lighting and power supply

Lighting and power supply

I be a newbie here, and to dj'ing as well. I have a truss system 14' tall and 26' square. I can set it up in many configurations. I have electric hoists at each corner to lift it up. I supply power to one and it daisychains to to others. I want to power my led lights and lasers with the same power that I supply to the hoists. I need to protect my lights and lasers from surges and anything that could damage them. I supply power to my entire system with a jobsite spider box from a 50amp 220v source. My sound equipment is protected by a furman. I dont have any protection for the hoists on the truss.
    Question: could I use an RV surge protector, or a whole house surge protector, before my spider box??
    Or, do I need to have a surge protector after the spider box and before the lights??
    Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

I guess this is over peoples heads on here. 80 views, no replies.

This isn't Facebook. The number of views can also be generated by google bots, and other search engines. 5 people have seen this thread including me.

Your thread title is not specific to the actual question. "what surge protector do I need/how to plug it."

Or, do I need to have a surge protector after the spider box and before the lights??

Either way it will be before the lights.

could I use an RV surge protector, or a whole house surge protector
    Are you in an RV or inside a building.

Unless you are setting this up in places with extremely dodgy electricity you don't need any protection, and even if you did those surge protectors aren't much use.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Unless you are setting this up in places with extremely dodgy electricity you don't need any protection, and even if you did those surge protectors aren't much use.
    +1

Surge Protectors and Power Conditioners are basically modern day Snake Oil.

Ahhh, ok. Thank you much. I had my suspicions about it.