Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finally, my mix on youtube hits a million plays today.

Conrats mate.
    makes me think I should have a bash at uploading something and seeing what happens. Trouble is every time I upload anything in the past to the tube 90% of the tracks get hit with the copyright ban hammer. Might have to make a mix with something really obscure

Quote Originally Posted by djkippax View Post
    Conrats mate.
    makes me think I should have a bash at uploading something and seeing what happens. Trouble is every time I upload anything in the past to the tube 90% of the tracks get hit with the copyright ban hammer. Might have to make a mix with something really obscure
    You tube has gotten a lot better in not hitting you with copyright strikes. This particular mix of mine was up on youtube for 3 years with no problems, then last year, with the view count at 700,000, they hit me with a copyright issue. I ended up deleting one of the songs in the mix. The is why there is a minute of silence in the middle of the mix. I thought it was going to hurt my dreams of getting to a million plays, but it still hit a million, even with the minute of silence. I think its up to 1.1 million now. I have another mix on youtube that got hit with a copyright strike and I had to delete one of the songs, so it also has a minute of silence in it, and that one has around 15,000 plays. What I tell people that want to put up mixes on youtube is keep them short at first, around 20 minutes. That way you don't have that many songs on there, and the less songs, the better your chances are of not getting a copyright strike. The other reason to keep them short is that if it does get deleted, you didn't waste a lot of time on it. Plus I find that people don't have the time to listen to long mixes, even good ones. So get your mixes up on youtube, just keep them short. Also, keep recording your mix over and over until it is as perfect as possible, nobody wants to hear crappy mixing. If you want to get lots of plays, use songs that people have heard of. Most people won't listen to a mix if they never heard of the songs, even if it is mixed well. That is what has worked for me. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    You tube has gotten a lot better in not hitting you with copyright strikes. This particular mix of mine was up on youtube for 3 years with no problems, then last year, with the view count at 700,000, they hit me with a copyright issue. I ended up deleting one of the songs in the mix. The is why there is a minute of silence in the middle of the mix. I thought it was going to hurt my dreams of getting to a million plays, but it still hit a million, even with the minute of silence. I think its up to 1.1 million now. I have another mix on youtube that got hit with a copyright strike and I had to delete one of the songs, so it also has a minute of silence in it, and that one has around 15,000 plays. What I tell people that want to put up mixes on youtube is keep them short at first, around 20 minutes. That way you don't have that many songs on there, and the less songs, the better your chances are of not getting a copyright strike. The other reason to keep them short is that if it does get deleted, you didn't waste a lot of time on it. Plus I find that people don't have the time to listen to long mixes, even good ones. So get your mixes up on youtube, just keep them short. Also, keep recording your mix over and over until it is as perfect as possible, nobody wants to hear crappy mixing. If you want to get lots of plays, use songs that people have heard of. Most people won't listen to a mix if they never heard of the songs, even if it is mixed well. That is what has worked for me. YMMV
    Thanks for the reply and the solid advice. You really have made think about giving it another go.
    The battleline between good and evil runs through the heart of every man. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn