Thread: Yamaha DZR15 - jack input?

Yamaha DZR15 - jack input?

Hi,

so I have two DZR15s which feature a combined XLR/Jack inputs.

I was told by Yamaha support that XLR input is balanced, and Jack input is unbalanced stereo. Sounded strange but that's what they said.

Thing is, if I connect a 6.3" stereo cable to jack input, I get no sound, as if it was balanced and it would just cancel it out.

Or is it mono?

Does anyone have a clue?

Provided this is not possbile, does anyone know of any smalles footprint device which could convert from stereo to combined mono?

Thanks.

The inputs should be XLR and 1/4" TRS, both balanced, both not stereo. You can't have a stereo input to a speaker that is mono. In most cases if you plug a mono 1/4" into a TRS balanced input the circuit operates as unbalanced.
    Last edited by Bill Fitzmaurice; 03-28-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Simply buy a cable to split the 1/8 trs to dual 1/4 TS and plug both into the speaker, it will mix/sum the signals to mono.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Simply buy a cable to split the 1/8 trs to dual 1/4 TS and plug both into the speaker, it will mix/sum the signals to mono.
    ^^^ this. The person who told you the jack is stereo was just confused. Use both inputs to mix stereo to mono.