Thread: Any up for giving feedback on sound quality? Deep House track

Question Any up for giving feedback on sound quality? Deep House track

As I've mentioned before, I only use headphones when producing so I try to reach out to ppl and have them test it on their end, regardless of what they use. Just trying to get a fews different ears on the project. It's "mastered" to the best of my abilities so looking more for sound quality and not so much the arrangement or elements. I'm pretty sold on how this one came out, although I may tweak 1 or 2 things.

I'll send a link to whomever responds. Thanks

I have some Sennheiser cans, and some Rogers speakers powered by a class G reference amp linked to an Avid sound card waiting for you.

And then I got a set of ears

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I have some Sennheiser cans, and some Rogers speakers powered by a class G reference amp linked to an Avid sound card waiting for you.

And then I got a set of ears

i'll msg you the link. Thank you.

So.

First played it after downloading through the laptop, it does translate really, really well on tiny speakers which is a very good sign.

Then played it a few times on the rig to get acquainted with it better + warm up the equipment (my sound card and amp do sound better when they are warm). After a half hour or so later I come back, play again, I confirm what I was expecting from someone mixing with headphones and that is:

A little too much bass, just a notch. My thoughts were yeeeaaah whaddayaknow thereeeee's a liiiitle too much bass going on. I did double check on my gear that the bass was set to 0 just to make sure it wasn't my mistake.

So to make sure that it isn't me and my hearing getting a false sense of how it sounds like (because I don't listen to house music that often, and because I was expecting too much bass before listening and taken into account that I may be biased), I pitted it against several other mastered EDM tracks to get a comparison, and that confirmed it is indeed too much bass. I would say run the bass line just about 1dB lower or so, see if you haven't overcooked the compression and lower the ratio a little if applicable. Then run a bounce of that mix and find out if it ends up sounding tiny or tighter. I think there's a little more dynamic response you can squeeze out from that frequency range, because it sounded a little woompy on the lower end. That's the problem with lower frequencies, headphones are just not up for that sort of job and you always need to keep that in mind (speaking from experience). Another problem is vocals, but then there is none in here so does not apply.

Everything else sounds good, the output level and perceived volume is good, it sounds clean, the imaging is nice and tight. I really liked the stereo (sort of couple of ms delay) imaging on the high hats, it sounds awesome. You can listen to the speakers sideways and they both come out.

Good job sir
    Last edited by Manu; 03-15-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Manu - I really appreciate the feedback. I actually read this last week and felt the same after using it in a set of mine. However, with all thats happened, I had to put that aside for a while.

In my set, I felt it was on-par with the pro tracks as I didn't have to tweak much of the EQs to match but I did lower the bass a tad when levels were matched. Another thing I noticed was that it wasn't as full sounding as the pro tracks - need to fill it out a bit more but I think I have a solid foundation right now and you helped confirm that.

Again, thanks for the response and sorry for the late reply.

Now that you say that, I also felt that it was not full sounding, as in not going full fat. Maybe tweak a little echo/delay around the synths, maybe do like a Hendrix and add a layer with an octave down or something, there are many tricks to make one sound go fuller. If you reduce the little extra bass accordingly, that should give you extra space for the rest.

You're welcome, solid track.