Thread: How long is a 6" XLR cable?

How long is a 6" XLR cable?

Sounds like a silly question... but I'm curious before I buy if a 6" cable is really 6" including connectors, or if the cable by itself without connectors is 6".

Reason I ask, is I'm doing a custom mod on my flight case and instead of going all crazy soldering my own cables, I'm just going to to buy some passthroughs to mount into the flight case and then short cables to run from the controller connections to the passthroughs and it won't directly line up so I may have to do a *little* bending, but don't want to give myself too little slack that it's bending at right angles.. but also not a foot either with excess cable I don't need (though it would be hidden under controller). Anyone happen to have any of these and can measure it out for me? Thanks!

^^^ Just order 12" or 1' and be done with it - use wire ties to keep the routing clean.

That's a good question and is probably up to the manufacturer. It should be 6" of cable with ends so 9-10" overall length. I can't say I've even noticed 6" cables being available. Wouldn't risk cutting it that close and you may change things around so a bit more length could be advantageous.

Quote Originally Posted by SWS Productions View Post
    ^^^ Just order 12" or 1' and be done with it - use wire ties to keep the routing clean.

That's a good question and is probably up to the manufacturer. It should be 6" of cable with ends so 9-10" overall length. I can't say I've even noticed 6" cables being available. Wouldn't risk cutting it that close and you may change things around so a bit more length could be advantageous.
    Thanks SWS. Yeah I was just trying to reduce the amount of excess cabling sitting in there. I doubt I'll have to move it much as the controller stays in one place and XLR outs are right by where I'll be drilling the holes. I did find 6" M-F XLR cables and ordered so we'll give em a go and worst case, I'll have to buy 1' later. You are also correct in that it's 6" of actual cable as I got a response from a few manufacturers on Amazon and they say the same.

^^^ Definitely want to keep wiring clean. I'm big on that too. Hate shitty looking racks and consoles, messy wiring. It's down to attention to detail 101. All my gear is custom installed, wire routing, patch bays and such. I'll snap a pic of a patch panel in a small PA fer ya.

Pictured is the amp rack I use for the wedding ceremony and small general purpose PA stuff, speaker on podium at neighborhood association, etc. Run it with some bi-amped JBL's on Gator tripods.

Clean wiring saves time and headaches every time you use it - worth every penny and every minute invested.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Elevate View Post
    How long is a 6" XLR cable?
    I just have to answer this. 6".
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Whenever I am doing a cable installation for whatever, I never bothered about the exact length.

Instead, I always leave a little more than needed. It is not hard to hide a cable, while plugging one that's too short always proved impossible to plug in.

Anyone happen to have any of these and can measure it out for me?
    It's 6".

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    I just have to answer this. 6".
    But it's not - not when you include the length of the connectors ;p

Quote Originally Posted by SWS Productions View Post
    ^^^ Definitely want to keep wiring clean. I'm big on that too. Hate shitty looking racks and consoles, messy wiring. It's down to attention to detail 101. All my gear is custom installed, wire routing, patch bays and such. I'll snap a pic of a patch panel in a small PA fer ya.

Pictured is the amp rack I use for the wedding ceremony and small general purpose PA stuff, speaker on podium at neighborhood association, etc. Run it with some bi-amped JBL's on Gator tripods.

Clean wiring saves time and headaches every time you use it - worth every penny and every minute invested.

Yeah just like in I.T. when you have to do the same thing over and over you get into a habit of scripting/automating it... trying to eliminate at least some work for setup.