Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Connecting YamahaDXR15, CerwinVega Sub P1800SX and External Mixer

Thanks so much ... so a few thing are settled.

I will continue my practice of connecting the mixer outs to the sub->to the speakers, and set the sub filters, with the tops set to OFF.

Now I have two related questions -is there any advantage to using RCA to 1/4" TS versus XLR to 1/4" TS cables to connect the controller to the mixer inputs?

Secondly, the CerwinVega recommends connecting the speakers from the subs using the "link output" channel, instead of the individual thru outputs... please see below:

sub2.jpg

I think the link output conveniently mixes the L/R outputs into one stereo out to the separate speakers ... but I would think this would work best if you are using one sub per speakers, otherwise there is a possibility of loss as the audio is mixed then separated into each speaker... is that the case? If so, then it is better to run separate output channels to each speaker, right?

Thanks again - much love !

Oyiwaa

Quote Originally Posted by Oyiwaa View Post
    Now I have two related questions -is there any advantage to using RCA to 1/4" TS versus XLR to 1/4" TS cables to connect the controller to the mixer inputs?
    With an unbalanced 1/4" TS on the end of both cables there is no advantage/disadvantage to either. The "problem" with the XLR outputs is with the signal level generated when using balanced cables, this hotter(higher voltage) signal is great for driving speakers directly but it's not needed when connecting to another mixer and as mentioned earlier there is a higher potential to overdrive a input.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyiwaa View Post
    Secondly, the CerwinVega recommends connecting the speakers from the subs using the "link output" channel, instead of the individual thru outputs... please see below:

I think the link output conveniently mixes the L/R outputs into one stereo out to the separate speakers ... but I would think this would work best if you are using one sub per speakers, otherwise there is a possibility of loss as the audio is mixed then separated into each speaker... is that the case?
    Mostly correct except that it mixes the two channels into a mono signal and it cannot be separated into a stereo signal again, so this is really only useful in specific situations.

For example, I use this functionality when distributing speakers around a large venue, the main system is run in stereo but I can take one of these summed Link outputs and feed another fullrange speaker way down in the back or out in the lobby.
    Last edited by conanski; 03-09-2020 at 09:42 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    [LEFT] With an unbalanced 1/4" TS on the end of both cables there is no advantage/disadvantage to either. The "problem" with the XLR outputs is with the signal level generated when using balanced cables, this hotter(higher voltage) signal is great for driving speakers directly but it's not needed when connecting to another mixer and as mentioned earlier there is a higher potential to overdrive a input.
    OK - that is clear - an unbalanced cables leave most of the amplication to the mixer then. I would consider something like this Hosa cable: (Hosa CPR-201 Stereo Interconnect Cable - Dual 1/4" TS Male to Dual RCA Male - 3.3'). thanks so much